How long can i have low CH in new pool.

Jul 10, 2010
Had a question about low CH in a fiberglass pool.

My pool is under construction. I am going to be doing the concrete soon, and plan on draining, polishing, and re-filling the pool after it is finished (only costs ~$11 to fill 13.7k gal). With that said, I don't want to invest too much money into chemicals, before that happens. So far I have raised my CYA up to 35, and am keeping chlorine in it (6% bleach). But my CH is low @ 60 (Testing with TF-100).

My long winded question is this... How long can I get by with that without damage? I plan on having it complete within the next month.

Thanks,
Mike.

Having a low CH in a fiberglass pool is not quite the issue that having a low CH in a plaster pool would be. A low CH in a plaster pool will end up causing corrosion over time. A low CH in a fiberglass pool is said to contribute to cobalt staining.

How long you can go with a low CH before problems develop is hard to say. With a CH of 60, you may not have any problems at all. Personally, I would feel a little more comfortable with my CH around, say, 200 ppm or so. Like I was saying though, it just isn't as pressing an issue as it would be were you to have a plaster pool.

Do not drain the pool. Do not drain the pool. Do not drain the pool. Do not drain the pool. Do not drain the pool. :hammer:

Fiberglass pools depend on the water pressure to keep the walls straight and to prevent pop ups.

I realize that there is likely a LOT of dirt and debris on the walls and bottom. Brushing the walls, shocking with liquid chlorine with the pump on recirculate, if available, then filling it so it can't hold any more will get the walls cleaner.

Allow time for the chlorine to sanitize and for the crud that is in suspension to fall down.

Vacuum to waste after a few hours but no more than a foot below the skimmer. Keep the hose filling the pool. You may need a couple go-rounds. Then switch the filter mode to filter.

This is the safest way to initially clean your newly installed pool. :party: I am shocked that the installer isn't doing this. :rant:

Do not drain the pool. Do not drain the pool. Do not drain the pool. Do not drain the pool. Do not drain the pool. :hammer:

Scott

Thanks guys,

I questioned draining the pool too. Although I am doing most of the work, at the time of setting the pool, the PB is the one who recommended draining and polishing. He is said to do it to every pool he installs.
One of the problems I have is the amount of soil in my pool. My soil is literally beach sand, making it impossible to keep out. A little wind, and you have a inch of sand in the pool. I have been working really hard to keep as much out as possible, but it is a time consuming, loosing battle. I have been reluctant to vacuum the sand, as it seems to destroy everything it touches. There is probably enough in there to fill the filter half full.
I have a cartridge filter so I can't vacuum to waste. Although I could disconnect the filter and pump straight out. That would save the filter from getting gummed up, but would that amount of sand hurt the pump at all?

Put a 3 port Jandy valve on the pump exhaust port. Then you can plumb one side to the filter and the other to a backwash adapter and hose. Great for lowing the pool after a rain or vacuuming to waste.

Please tell me you have a 3' concrete apron tied with rebar to the pool coping to hold the pool down.

Then lay down some kind of ground cover over the sand such as gravel or grass to hold the sand down in your yard.

Scott

mpippins said:
One of the problems I have is the amount of soil in my pool. My soil is literally beach sand, making it impossible to keep out. A little wind, and you have a inch of sand in the pool. I have been working really hard to keep as much out as possible, but it is a time consuming, loosing battle. I have been reluctant to vacuum the sand, as it seems to destroy everything it touches. There is probably enough in there to fill the filter half full.
If you have a lot of sand that is going to be continual problem, you might want to buy a 3/4 HP pump just to use to vacuum to waste. You can use a vacuum hose adaptor in the front and you could put a gate valve at the discharge to control the flow rate.

Another option is to use a vacuum plate adaptor and vacuum through the skimmer with the skimmer basket in and a Queen-size, women's knee-hi stocking in the skimmer basket to catch the sand.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.