Chlorine creates white cloud that rises to surface

Xela

Mar 27, 2011
I am new to taking care of a pool. My father cleaned it for years but he can no longer do it. So this season I am in charge of clearing up our now green pool. I know the basics like chemical balance and all that stuff but something has me stumped.

Whenever I add chlorine (granular) to the pool, it creates a white cloud after about 15 seconds which slowly rises to the surface. When it reaches the surface, it seems to evaporate. The pool will not hold any chlorine. After adding a ton of shock, the Free Chlorine and Total Chlorine levels are always at 0 after waiting a couple hours to test.

The PH and Alk are too high, which I plan on fixing this weekend. Not sure if that would cause the problem though.

Pool Info:
Sand Filter
Plaster
20,000 gallons.

Thanks for the help

Hi welcome to TFP! In order to help you we need a full set of current test results. Do you have a test kit or do you take a sample to the pool store? What type of chlorine are you using? What geographical area is the pool located in?

Welcome to TFP!

When able, please post some numbers for us to see as zea3 has suggested. it is much easier to help you when we know what we are up against.

Have you begun reading Pool School yet? There is a great deal of useful information in there for you. I would also suggest taking a look at the following article on defeating algae...

pool-school/defeating_algae

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.