Do SWCG's generate bubbles?

phalcon51

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
So. California
Since I installed my new VSP I've noticed a lot of bubbles coming back through the returns when the pump is on low speed (1100rpm) and the Intellichlor IC40 is active. the higher the percentage of run-time, the more bubbles I notice. When I turn the cell off the bubbles go away. Is this normal for SWCG's? Do they actually create chlorine gas? (I don't really know how they work)

Is it okay to run the cell at lower flow rates? I don't know what the gpm is, but at 1100rpm I'm just barely showing 2 psi on the Hayward DE 4820 filter. Should I bump up the rpm a little? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

Yes, the swcg will create small bubbles while it is creating chlorine. I think most people experiment with run times and rates to find the best blend of efficiency and chlorine production for them.

The cell creates hydrogen gas and chlorine gas. The only bubbles you should see are the hydrogen. The chlorine gas should all dissolve into the water. Some chlorine gas might escape undissolved if the return line is short and the chlorine gas does not have enough time to dissolve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.