Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do SWCG's generate bubbles?

1. Back To Top    #1
    So. California

Do SWCG's generate bubbles?

Since I installed my new VSP I've noticed a lot of bubbles coming back through the returns when the pump is on low speed (1100rpm) and the Intellichlor IC40 is active. the higher the percentage of run-time, the more bubbles I notice. When I turn the cell off the bubbles go away. Is this normal for SWCG's? Do they actually create chlorine gas? (I don't really know how they work)

Is it okay to run the cell at lower flow rates? I don't know what the gpm is, but at 1100rpm I'm just barely showing 2 psi on the Hayward DE 4820 filter. Should I bump up the rpm a little? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice.

26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Houston, Texas

Re: Do SWCG's generate bubbles?

Yes, the swcg will create small bubbles while it is creating chlorine. I think most people experiment with run times and rates to find the best blend of efficiency and chlorine production for them.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Do SWCG's generate bubbles?

The cell creates hydrogen gas and chlorine gas. The only bubbles you should see are the hydrogen. The chlorine gas should all dissolve into the water. Some chlorine gas might escape undissolved if the return line is short and the chlorine gas does not have enough time to dissolve.