Can we "gently" power wash the liner before we refilling??

Jun 12, 2010
Levelland Texas
We will be draining our pool and refilling it this year upon opening....I have other threads discussing SWG which we are converting to....but my question is:

Could we "gently" power wash the vinyl liner upon cleaning as we have a lot of calcium/mineral scale buildup a long the walls??? We would do this "before" draining the swamp water out as to not stretch or "move" the liner in anyway....

Any advice on this would be most helpful.....Thank You!!

Re: Can we "gently" power wash the liner before we refilling

I'm not qualified to fully answer but while you wait I'll warn you that except for intex type pools, liners shrink when drained and can't be reused. You could probably drain partially and refill but I'd research it carefully starting with searching this site.

We weren't planning on draining it completely but with the water level dropping so low over the winter it has a lot of deposits on the walls.....that is what we were wanting to clean with water spray?? ...Or is there any type of cleaner we could use??

Please let me know what anyone thinks on this idea....Thanks

Any pics? It may just need a good brushing or perhaps light application of magic eraser and some elbow grease. It's fairly unusual to have calcium build-up on a liner pool. If you have some pics, it may help us vizualize better, but I would not drain the pool any further.

Does the residue wipe away easily or do you have to scrub to get it off? I would try brushing it with a pool brush or scrubbing it with a Mr.Clean magic eraser. Power washers can damage an older or brittle liner and could cause tears where opening were cut for skimmers and returns.

Thanks for the responses.....the scale should brush away with a lot of effort....I will post some pics if I can ever find my camera....

Scale build-up is very common where I live because the water is beyond HARD.....

So, that being said, I'm hoping switching to the SWG will help with this in the long run...first have to deal with the left over swamp that the winter left us...

Thanks again!!!

Switching to a SWG actually promotes PH rise, which promotes calcium scaling. Keeping ph at 7.6 and below will help avoid scaling issues.

dmanb2b said:
Switching to a SWG actually promotes PH rise, which promotes calcium scaling. Keeping ph at 7.6 and below will help avoid scaling issues.

Well.....I have always had trouble with high pH due to our hard water....but I should be able to keep it in check with the dry acid right?? Even with using the SWG??

"Hard" water does not cause PH rise. Your water likely has a high TA, but I'm guessing that, which is causing PH to rise, not hardness. We prefer using muratic acid vs dry acid as it contains sulfur.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.