Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris booster pump leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris booster pump leaking

Ok got my other problem resolved as I am sure this is much easier one to solve.

In the picture you will see a black ring where the pvc connects to the pump. It is leaking here. I assume I just need to tightned it up some. Is there anything else I need to do to this?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polaris booster pump leaking

Try that first, if it doesn't work you may need to put some teflon pipe dope on the threads.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Try that first, if it doesn't work you may need to put some teflon pipe dope on the threads.
    I guess I shoudl make the black part go closer towards the booster or further away. My guess is closer to the booster?

Thanks.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, closer, except I'm not sure it will turn. It may well be glued to that pipe and not turn without breaking something. Don't use too much force.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    Yes, closer, except I'm not sure it will turn. It may well be glued to that pipe and not turn without breaking something. Don't use too much force.
    I tried turning it early and it seem to turn pretty easy. But didnt really try too much.

6. Back To Top    #6

Well it seemed as you said the glue came loose but no breaking at all. So what is the best stuff to use to reconnect the pipes.

The part where the black thing is a connector from the pump to the white things. The white thing connects to the pipe that goes back to the pool. So I need to use some pipe glue to reconnect the connector and pipes. The part I am talking about is circled in black.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Back To Top    #7

If the connection is threaded use some teflon pipe dope. If the connection is smooth use pvc primer and cement. Those can all be found at the hardware store.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I guess this will work along with pvc primer. The following is the cement

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

The following is the primer

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

The only thing I am worried about is when you apply this stuff you are supposed to put the primer and then the cement and insert and turn. Will it be ok since it seems to be a pretty tight fit to put the primer on then the cement and just push them together?

Thanks.

9. Back To Top    #9

If you have enough pipe flexibility to be able to pull the joint apart and clean it, then everything will be fine when you glue it back together even without a twist. The less leeway for movement there is, the more complex the entire operation becomes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

If you have enough pipe flexibility to be able to pull the joint apart and clean it, then everything will be fine when you glue it back together even without a twist. The less leeway for movement there is, the more complex the entire operation becomes.
    Yea there is enough leeway to pull it apart. I already experienced that when I turned on the polaris while trying to get it tight it just popped off. It appeared to be very clean and I am suprised it has not come off sooner. So I have turned off the small water hose that sends water to the booster pump. So as of now it is not leaking. So hopefully this weekend I can get it all fixed up.

Thanks everyone for the help.