Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Suction manifold redo

1. Back To Top    #1

Suction manifold redo

Getting ready to redo the suction manifold, all the piping is 1.5 inch. I’m going to increase the manifold piping and piping to the pump to 2 inch. My thinking on this is more efficient flow. Will be replacing the ball valves also but will be using the same size ( 1.5 inch).

Anyone know if the Jandy Gold Standard ball valves (one with the union on one end) are full port?
    Would moving the pump take off to the middle of the manifold make much of a difference?
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Suction manifold redo

Increasing the manifold to 2" will improve the flow rate, but only by a little.

Putting the pump take off in the middle would make the draw from all four pipes more uniform. That may or may not be what you want. Often the pump take off is placed next to the main drain and the skimmer with the shortest pipe is placed at the far end of the manifold, in an attempt to tailor the non-uniform flow rates of the manifold to the situation. Again, this doesn't usually make all that much difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

I can't say about the 'Gold Jandy' valves

However, 2 of the lines coming into your pump are labeled 'returns'

Jason's one of the guys I hoped would answer you post, and he has
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Bad lableing, they should be pool drain and spa drain. Between pool drain and skimmer will be new take off for pump. I found a good price on these "Pentair 1.5" PVC, 2-Way Lube-Free Diverter Valve, with 2" Slip Outside" $22.76. If order is over $149 free shipping.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.