Flow drops from 60 to 7 after 8 minutes!

However there is minimal suction and on the 'return jets' we have bubbles. The pump basket is only slightly over 1/2 full of water and is surging. I know that this all points to an air leak. But how could this happen so quickly?
Chances are, that the leak existed prior to the pump speed issue and with that resolved the leak got bigger. Here's how I would go about finding it.

1) Remove the pump strainer basket lid and clean and lube the o-ring and reinstall the lid.
2) Carefully check the suction connection of the pump. They may not have gotten it tight during installation.
3) Check the skimmer while the pump is running to make sure it's not creating a vortex and pulling air in.
4) Check all the suction piping above the ground for leaks or cracks.

It might help if you could post a picture of the equipment also.

Does your SWG (salt water generator) also turn the pump on and off? If so, the pump may have stopped during the night and it lost its prime (which takes you back to the air leak...).

I tried to look up your pump, but that model number comes up as a SWG.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Just wanted to do a very quick post....... I can't get back to looking at the pool until probably tomorrow. So for now I'll switch it off, and then start going through everyones suggestions as soon as I get a chance. Just wanted to do a quick note so you know I have been reading them........

zea3 said:
What kind of filter do you have and did you clean it after this current issue popped up? Since you started killing algae, it can clog the filter fairly quickly, restrict flow, and increase pressure.

:goodjob: BINGO! We didn't check the filter because we thought we would have longer than 1/2 a day! WOW. Yes we cleaned it out and BINGO pressure dropped and the pump basket filled up.

I understand how it clogs and I get how it would make the pressure rise but why did the pump basket fill with air?

We have had to clean it 2 times to get everything working and I figure a couple times more.

Thanks so much to everyone for your help. I am no longer in "I hate my pool mode"! We have had problems from the beginning but thanks to everyone here I have gone on a huge learning curve and now know lots more about my pool! (And updated my signature now that I know what the parts are!) So when I speak with the local pool experts I'll understand what they are talking about and be able to challenge them when they fob me off! I'll explore more to understand how to care for our pool....

Thanks again everyone. :party: :whoot:

I don't know why it sucks air into the system when the filter clogs but my pump does the same thing. When I am vacuuming and I notice it is not picking up well I'll go look at the pad and the pump will have an inch or two of air and the filter pressure will be up by 10 pts. I stop, empty out the leaf canister and the pump strainer, bump the filter, bleed off the excess air and everything is good again. When those things don't help it is time to open the filter and clean the grids.

Glad that worked for you. Enjoy your pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.