Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: water levels after winter

1. Back To Top    #1

water levels after winter

Hi

My first winter with the 30' round above ground pool and I think the water level might be lower than it should be.

Its still hard to tell because it has some ice on it but I would guess if it had 4 feet when I closed it up it now has under 3 feet. maybe 2 1/2 ish give or take.

Is it normal to loose water level over he winter or might I somehow have a leak?

Also to add some detail a small portion of the cover had been pulled into the pool creating a gap of about 3 feel long and 1/2 foot wide I could not fix it because of how harsh the winter was but 97% of the pool cover was intact fine

thoughts
    25,500K gallons; cartridge; IG; plaster; I'll have to look up the pump size and flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: water levels after winter

I lost about 18-24" through a bad skimmer plug It's normal, just raise it up as soon as you can
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

how do I know if its a leak in the liner or normal
    25,500K gallons; cartridge; IG; plaster; I'll have to look up the pump size and flow rate

4. Back To Top    #4

If you fill it up and it goes back down without any significant rain or snow on top of the cover, then it's a leak. That said, your likely fine...I had 2ft of water on top of my cover the other day after the snow and ice melted, that pushes any water in the pool up and out threw any opening.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    If you fill it up and it goes back down without any significant rain or snow on top of the cover, then it's a leak. That said, your likely fine...I had 2ft of water on top of my cover the other day after the snow and ice melted, that pushes any water in the pool up and out threw any opening.
    Exactly what I was about to post. You should be fine.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

This is our 1st winter with an above ground pool too. We seemed to have lost about a foot of water. The cover was removed today, everyting looks fine, no obvious leaks etc... Is this normal to loose that much water? We plugged the skimmer opening, removed hoses & drained water to skimmer.
    We live in NH, 27' x 52" --- we did have 'tons' of snow this season, it would make sense if the water became displaced.
    So, is this relatively normal? Thanks much!!!!!
    Nini from New England
    27' AG 52", 18,500 gal
    Proline 22" Sand Filter, Proline 2hp 2 speed pump, Proline chlorinator

7. Back To Top    #7

It's normal if you get enough rain/snow to displace the water. Happens to me all the time.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com