Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Non-Polymer Filter Aid

1. Back To Top    #1

Non-Polymer Filter Aid

I am getting ready to work on removing iron stains from my fiberglass pool. I will be using Stain Free by Natural Chemistry. In the instructions, it mentions using a "non-polymer filter aid (paper pulp products work great for this process)" if you have a sand filter. What is a non-polymer filter aid and where do I get one?

Thanks for your help!!

Dory
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Non-Polymer Filter Aid

Its DE substitute.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

An example is Fiber Clear where you can get a small bag through Amazon. Be careful not to use too much as it filters to very small particles so can back up pressure significantly if the pool isn't clean (and it won't be when using these metal binding products since it sounds like they are intended to capture the sequestered metal in the filter).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

How do I add the filter aid for example Fiber Clear to the sand filter? Do I have to open the sand filter or can I put it in the skimmer?

Thanks!!
    East TN
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Remove the skimmer basket and turn on the pump. Add about a cup of fiber clear to the skimmer. Watch the pump basket, when you add the fiber clear the water will turn milky. Once it has all been sucked into the filter the water in the pump basket will be clear again. Just add a little at a time until you have added the recommended amount. Then you can put the skimmer basket back in place.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so much for the help!! I am going to order some and give it a try.
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater