Coming back with a splash and caution

Water_man

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Brookline, MA
Hi all,
I’m glad to be back after a year of absence due to being sick and hospitalized.
I wasn’t at home during the pool season of 2010 and my family couldn’t take care of the pool properly so obviously I have a green swamp, but this is another story. I’ll take care of this hopefully soon.

Here’s my question:

During the pool season of summer ’09 my immune system was compromised and I got an very painful ear infection, which took a long time to heal, using the proper antibiotics.
My ear infection was caused by a bug that resided in my ear, not in the pool. The culprit was the water that reached my ear. Now I know how to prevent it.

This coming summer I will also be immuno - conpromised but I don’t want to give up the pool. Are there any known parasites or “malware bugs” (fungi, protozoans, viruses, etc.) in a well maintained pool?
If affirmative, what can be done in order to get rid of them?

Hi Waterman, welcome back! Sorry to hear you were sick and I hope 2011 brings you restored health! I am no infectious disease expert, but I do believe a properly maintained pool will kill all the bad microbes in the water. Since you are immune compromised you will want to be extra diligent caring for your pool. I would keep the FC at the top of the range and maybe 1 or 2 ppm higher than recommended. Always bump up your FC before guests come to swim if you want to swim with them and bump it up again after everyone goes home.

After you have cleaned up your swamp, when the water is all clear and you have passed the overnight chlorine loss test, break down the DE filter and clean the grids well. Make sure all the old DE and any traces of swamp water are flushed out. My pool got a little swampy when my pump was offline for a couple of weeks. After the pool was clear, I was getting a little green cloud out of my DE filter after I had just cleaned it! You want to make sure any spot that could harbor bacteria is clean, clean, clean so don't overlook your filter.

I hope this is helpful. I'm sure if I am wrong about anything someone will be along to provide better information! Good luck and good health!

Welcome back! :wave:

You should consult your doctor for medical advice.

A properly chlorinated pool is disinfected, but not sanitized. The difference is that the level of pathogens is reduced to levels below that which could cause disease in most people. It doesn't mean that there are no pathogens whatsoever anywhere in the pool water or on any surface. The typical commercial/public pool standards are Heterotrophic Plate Count (HPC) <= 500 Colony Forming Units (CFU) per millileter (ml), Total and Fecal Coliform is 0 CFU per 100 ml. Total Coliform is only used when Non-Coliform <= 200 CFU per 100 ml. These standards are the maximum contaminant levels for drinking water.

Basically, if you are not allowed to drink tap water and require boiling of municipal water, then you shouldn't be swimming in a pool. The main risk noted by the CDC and EPA for immunocompromised persons is the risk of getting Cryptosporidium parvum since it is chlorine-resistant so can persist in chlorinated pools. However, the risk is low in one's own residential pool since Crypto comes from the diarrhea of infected persons.

Back when I was diving more frequently, they advised us to swab ears after dive with Qtip dipped in 1:1 white vinegar:rubbing alcohol mix. Supposedly when the alcohol evaporated, it helped to dry out the ear, and the acidity of the vinegar made it inhospitable for bacteria. Since then, I just use every day.

zea3 said:
After the pool was clear, I was getting a little green cloud out of my DE filter after I had just cleaned it! You want to make sure any spot that could harbor bacteria is clean, clean, clean so don't overlook your filter.

Thank you for the reminder to clean up the filter. I'll use an acid wash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.