EasyTouch 8 - Programming Multiple Schedules

Mar 24, 2011
First time pool owner, and really looking for help! I currently have my pump/filter scheduled to turn on/off once each day (pool builder programmed this), and the cleaner once each day as well. I would like instructions on how to get a little more creative, such as during the 8 hour cycle the pump is running I would like to start out with the speed low (1000 rpm?) for a few hours, then speed it up for the skimmers (2500 rpm?) for a few hours, then return to low again. Additionally, during this run time, I would like to switch the valves over to the spa, speed the pump up to max (3400rpm) and run the spa for a bit to clean through the spa main drains. The owners manuals do not help. They do a poor job of addressing these needs of multiple settings or schedules. Can anyone please help me?

My pool equipment:
Pentair
Automation: EasyTouch 8
Pump: IntelliFlo VS-3050
Pump: WhisperFlow (for grotto)
Filter: FNS Plus DE 60 Sq Ft
Heater: MasterTemp 400
Cleaner: Legend Kreepy Krauly & booster pump

It is really quite easy once you understand the basics.
First set up all of your circuit names, and Feature circuit names.
For every different speed you want to run, you need a different name, up to a total of 8 speeds. That name can be a assigned to an Aux, or a Feature circuit.
You probably already have some of these filled in. IE: waterfeature, booster pump, spa light, pool light. If there is any other function you want to readily get to on the front panel of your controller add that to the open Aux's. IE: Spillway if your spa spills into your pool, or Pool high for cleaning. You may also want a different speed for your spa jets.
Next set your circuit functions for each item. IE: Generic for anything, or Spillway for Spillway, Intellibrite for Intellibrite ect. You will also be setting a freeze function or not to each.
Next go to the Intelliflo menu and add each name, and set a speed for it.
I like to set my main Pool and Spa speeds lower, just fast enough to fire the heater.
Then have a Pool high for ramping up the speed. You can have a Spa high, but must remember to schedule the Spa on at the same time for that to work.
Now it is time to set the schedules.
First thing to remember is when two schedules overlap, the highest speed wins. So I will schedule my pool (which is a low speed) for 12 hours a day. Then set a higher cleaning speed for an hour or two in the middle of that. So when that comes up the speed changes, then ramps back down when that is over.
You can set multiple schedule times to each speed as well.
With the spa, only spa will put it into the "Spa" mode, so if you have a spa high, you must run it when in the spa mode. This is the same for a Jets speed if you want a different one for that.
We don't use booster pumps here much, but I know you must be cautious that you don't run the booster when the intelliflo is running to slow as it might cause it to suck air. Best thing to to cover your butt on that is set a "Booster or cleaner" speed. That way when the booster, cleaner or what ever you called it is kicked on the intelliflo will be at that minimum speed.
Setting the booster function for "cleaner" will make the "pool" come on 5 min prior to booster coming on, and will shut it off if spa is turned on.

So do you have any questions?

Just-a-PB...
Thanks for your time, and yes, I have lots of questions. I read your response, but I'm embarrassed to say I'm still just not gettin it. It needs to be written in crayon for me I guess. I've gone through all the settings in my remote, wrote them down, and what I'd like to do is list them below. Can you look at my settings and please tell me what needs to be changed or added?

Feature Circuits: 1-8 are turned off.
Schedules: Pool has one schedule. Cleaner has one schedule. Grotto, Air Blower, Electrical Outlets, Pool Light, Aux, and Aux 7 have no schedules.

Settings Menu as follows -
Pump #1: Speed 1/8, rpm 2600, circuit POOL. Speed 2/8, rpm 3450, circuit SPA.
Circuit Names: 1/18 SPA, 2/18 POOL, 3/18 AUX1-Cleaner, 4/18 AUX2-Grotto, 5/18 AUX3-Air Blower, 6/18 AUX4-Outlets (electrical), 7/18 AUX5-Pool Light, 8/18 AUX6-AUX6
9/18 AUX7-AUX7, 10/18 thru 17/18 are Ft1 thru ft8 - Feature 1 thru Feature 8, 18/18 AuxX-Aux Extra.
Circuit Function: SPA/Master Spa, POOL/Master Pool, CLEANER/Mstr Cleaner, GROTTO/Generic, AIR BLOWER/Generic, OUTLETS/Generic, POOL LIGHT/Intellibrite,
Not used are AUX6, AUX7, FEATURE 1 thru 8, and AUX EXTRA.

Thanks, Russ

A couple of questions about your pool.
Is is your spa raised, does it spill into the pool?
do you have any other valve actuators other then the suction and return?
Curious: how many jets are in the spa.
Do you have a heater bypass valve?
What kind of remotes do you have: IE spa side, wireless, wired, none.

- Yes, the spa is raised, and it does have a spillway into the pool.
- Yes just two automatic valves, as you state. It's puts the pool into POOL or SPA mode.
- 6 jets in the spa.
- No heater bypass valve.
- Wireless remote. The EasyTouch 8 remote.

So to your circuit names add the following.
Aux 6: put in ''Spillway"
Aux 7: put in "jets" or you can put it on Feature 2 if you want to save this for something else.
Feature 1: put in "pool high"
Feature 2: put in "jets" if you didn't put it in on Aux 7

Next go to functions:
Set "spillway" function to spillway.

Next go to equipment>Intelliflo>speeds
There can be a little trial and error with these to get them just right.
Really depends on if you like to tweak things occasionally or just set and forget.
Set speeds for the following:
Pool=set slow speed probably 1000rpm
Spa=set slow speed high enough to fire heater. 1000 to 1200
Cleaner=if pool slow speed is not enough water to feed the booster pump then put a higher one here, this will guarantee they will work together well.
Spillway=What ever speed you like to make that feature look good.
Pool high= Maybe 2500 or so to get flow to your skimmers.
jets= nothing higher then 2800 without a heater bypass. full speed can strip out the heater exchanger.
You can set a speed called "Air blower" so when you turn on your blower the pump will slow down a little because you get a big push of air.

Next you want to set schedules for these.
This just depends on what you are wanting to do.
I like to set up with energy savings as much as possible.
As I said before if two schedules run at the same time the higher speed takes over.
So you can run your pool low for 8 to 12 hours or what ever you want.
Then you can have your cleaner schedule during that time. If you set a higher speed it will ramp up to that for that period.
Then you can set a pool high, schedule to help skim. Or you could set 2, or 3 through out the day. Just depends on what you are after.
Then if you want to refresh your spa, schedule a spillway time. This might be a high enough speed to run the skimmers as well so it would kill two birds with one schedule
Now when you turn on the spa to heat it up you are using very little electricity, and not pulling in much cold air through the theropie jets. When you are ready to get in if you like hit the jets button and get a blast of speed.

Again when it comes to the schedules you can tweak them down tight so you get a nice clean pool but use very little electricity.
We set one up on a totally green house that was zero use, and got it down ridiculously low. It all depends on how much debris, dust, people you get in your pool.

Any more questions dare I ask.

When I had specific questions about programming my Easy Touch I called Pentair customer support and they actually walked me through the programming steps while on the phone. The phone number is in the manual. The people I talked to were very knowledgeable about the system and were very helpful.

OK with PBs description I got a higher speed set up for when Polaris is running. Thanks!

Can I somehow program a high speed cleaning of spa without activating the heat as would happen in regular spa setting?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.