Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New filter recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1
    Miami, FL

New filter recommendations

As I mentioned in this post, my filter blew up and I am looking for a new one.

I think cartridge is best, so looking at Hayward 1200 ($350) and 1750 ($440). Larger is better, so I should be OK with 1750, right? What about other brands: basically the same thing and the main difference is just price?

It does seem like the input to 1750 is for 2" pipes; I have 1½" out of the pump to the current (dead) filter. Any issues there?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: New filter recommendations

Different size pipe connections are not a problem. You will need a suitable fitting to change pipe size, which is easy enough to find.

There are several minor variations between brands and models within a brand, but they are small. The most noticeable of the small differences are things like how easy it is to open the top to get at the cartridges to clean them and how easy to air bleed valve is to operate, all minor stuff.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New filter recommendations

My hayward filter was decent but I like my Pentair better. The Clean and Clear cartridges are top notch. Easy to clean and trap a lot of dirt. Granted, I've got the big boy CCP420, but even the smaller 150sq/ft models are really decent.

As for the pipe, you can buy a downsizing adapter (2" to 1.5" at the filter). It doesn't make a while lot of difference. If you've never done PVC before, it's super simple. Use unions at both sides of the filter for easy maintenance (costs about $7 each at Depot/Lowes) and use the blue rain-or-shine cement. I was a total novice a few years back and now can make PVC do almost anything. It's that simple!
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light