help closing above ground pool

laren

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 26, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I've always gone to the pool store when closing my pool and they give what I need, when to put it in and the amount.

I bought algaecide 40 (they didn't have 60) when do I put this in and how much? How much bleach do I put in and when do I put it in before or after the algaecide and after adding the above how long do I circulate before draining the pool?

My alkalinity is still over 200 I guess it will have to stay that way until next season.

Thank you,
Laurie

First thing I suggest is that you read the sticky above to get a general idea. http://troublefreepools.com/viewtopic.php?t=2904

Now, you will want to make sure your pump is still running, then add enough bleach to bring it up to shock level and hold for 24 hrs (not a hard and fast rule on hours, but generally a good number) this should guarantee any "bugs" are killed before you close. You can go ahead and start closing then or let it drop to the standard 3-5ppm

Make sure your PH is at an acceptable level (7.2-7.6).

Once you have the pool cleaned out and these levels set, you will be ready to backwash the filter if sand and drain down the pool or just drain down if another type of filter is used. Drain filter and remove hoses for storage. If you have an aquadoor or other barrier so you don't drain, move to the Polyquat step.

I have always added the Polyquat AFTER draining - so you aren't just pumping it out. Circlulate well with your leaf net or brush. The amount you add should be noted right on the bottle, mine "Eradicate 60" states 9oz per 10K gallons 16oz if visible algae (you should not have visible algae at closing - shock and filter to remove algae before closing)

Thank you so much for your quick reply...I'm anxious to close in the next couple of days. I take it that the dose of Poly quat 60 is the weekly maintenance dose instead of the pool opening dosage which is much higher. I was told that I would need more algaecide using 40 instead of 60 but I'm not sure how much to use, they don't give a pool closing amount.

Thanks so much
Laurie

Well the "Initial pool cleansing amount" they list on there is 9oz, I close with more of the "algae treat" level. The maintc dose is the lowest, the algae amount is the highest and the initial amount is right in between. You can extrapolate from there - more than you need will not hurt it. Mainly what this will do it prevent the growth if it warms up some before freeze and then when you open in the spring.

I'm guessing if the 60 is 9oz per 10K gals for initial treatment, your 40 could be around 12oz or something. It won't hurt to add more than you need. Frankly, I don't meausure mine, I just put the entire 32oz bottle in my pool each fall. So I do close with a high level each fall. Overkills? Maybe, but I always open crystal clear in the spring. There is a long period between opening and actually swimming due to the cold nights that can't catch up to the warm days so I like to have that added protection in there anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.