What Valve/Actuator Needed for Solar Control using EasyTouch

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
My PB is going to be installing the ET 4 and IC40 cell when he builds our pool. We will also have Intellibrites running to it. Now my question is when I install solar myself what exactly do I need to buy in order to be able to automate the control of the solar?

I'm thinking I need at least one or two temp sensors, valve, actuator? Anything else I need?

Please help and if you know part numbers or anything specific that would be great. I will probably go wtih the AquaSol panels through bestbuypoolsupply unless I can find better options.

Thanks.

Re: What Valve/Actuator Needed for Solar Control using EasyT

My setup has three temp sensors - one for pool water, one for temp at the solar panels and an ambient air sensor. Thr last one is only needed for freeze protection really.

I couldn't find that valve number but I did find 263047. Is that the right one? I need a 3 way valve right?

Also, for the actuator I just found 263045. Is that the right one?

For the temp sensors I found Compool 520272. Will that work ok?

Thanks.

briansturgeon said:
I couldn't find that valve number but I did find 263047. Is that the right one? I need a 3 way valve right?

Also, for the actuator I just found 263045. Is that the right one?

For the temp sensors I found Compool 520272. Will that work ok?

Thanks.

Sorry I really butchered the part numbers.

All the above part numbers are correct.

Brian,

You can always call Pentair's tech support line, they are always happy to give you all of the Pentair part numbers you need. We recently installed our pool (all Pentair system with Easytouch controler) and they were great to deal with. We've called quite a few times and it has always been a good experience. Since we've also been shopping solar systems, I called them with the same question. They gave me the following part #s:

Solar Valve #263047
2 Way Valve #263029
Temp Sensor #520272
Actuator #263045

The temp sensor already installed on our system between the pump and filter will still provide the pool temp reading that the Easytouch is looking for, and the second sensor would be installed in the water returning from the solar panels so that the system can compare temps and determine when the water from the panels is above the temperature variance you've programmed into your Easytouch. Basically, the Pentair tech told me that I only needed to add 1 temp sensor, 1 valve, and an actuator for our particular set up since the Easytouch has controls for solar heat already built in. Hope this helps. Oh, we took a tip from others at TFP and added a solar cover (just the clear bubble wrap type) about 2 weeks ago and our water temp has gone up about 9 degrees just from using that. (from 64 up to 73). It's a bit of a pain, but in our area we'll only need it for a few months out of the year to keep the pool useable.

kenandshari said:
Brian,

The temp sensor already installed on our system between the pump and filter will still provide the pool temp reading that the Easytouch is looking for, and the second sensor would be installed in the water returning from the solar panels so that the system can compare temps and determine when the water from the panels is above the temperature variance you've programmed into your Easytouch. Basically, the Pentair tech told me that I only needed to add 1 temp sensor, 1 valve, and an actuator for our particular set up since the Easytouch has controls for solar heat already built in.

That doesn't sound right - are you sure that's what they meant? The solar sensor should be installed up near the panels (not in them or the return pipes) to measure the temp of the panels (not of the return water) to determine if there is enough heat at the panels to engage the solar heater, provided of course that the current water temp is reading below your goal temp and the variance settings.

You can also add a third temp sensor for freeze protection and to dispaly the ambient air temp.

It is entirely possible that I misunderstood the tech. (I have a few calls to make before we order our system to ensure we get it right.) According to the tech at Pentair the Easytouch measures pool water temp and compares against the temp of the water from the panels that is about to flow back into the pool. The freeze protection brings up an interesting point though. I don't know where you're at on your pool install, but we made several calls to Pentair with product tech questions before we bought anything. They will take your call and advise you about their products and your pool plan even if you are still shopping and haven't signed anything yet. Since we have not yet installed a system I can not speak from experience on what works and what does not work. Hopefully some of this has been helpful and hopefully someone with actual experience on using a solar system will chime in so we both get it right.

While we are on the topic, if anyone reading this has any experience with Sungrabber 12' panels vertically mounted on the roof (good or bad) I'd like to hear about it. We know that some others claim to produce slightly more heat, but in our location that's probably not going to be that big of a deal. (South facing rear roof, pool and roof get full sun almost all day.) We're looking for bang for the buck and low maintenance.

From the EasyTouch manual:
Mount the sensor on a flat surface, with the same exposure to sun as the solar collectors (next to the collectors is recommended) or any sunny location. Do not let the sensor touch the panels.
The EasyTouch should come with both the water and ambient (freeze protection) temperature sensors.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Brian,

We ordered our solar heating system (including the Pentair part#s listed) this weekend. Aquasol 4 x 12 panels (5) and the install kit from BBPS - same as you are considering I think. ETA is about 2 weeks. Should be involved in install soon, so once we are done I should be somewhat smart on what is required for DIY solar with an Easytouch box. I'll share what I learn once it's done.

Brian, I haven't forgotten you on the solar kit. I got my kit last week and now have all of the panels installed. It was fairly simple, but plan ahead and start reading the manual now. I had to wait on a few parts that were not right and I'm still waiting on some of them to finish the plumbing part of the install. So far BBPS has made things right on the messed up parts I got. It's just delaying my install though. Not really a big deal though since our pool is already holding 80 deg daily now without solar or the cover. We installed the pool in Jan when there was no rush to swim, and now I'm doing the solar kind of the same way since the water temp is warm enough to be refreshing and not feeling very cold at all. Since there's no rush, hopefully I'll take my time and do it right. I'll try to post some pix here another time. I'm not at the temp sensor part yet, so I can't tell you if the 1 I ordered is enough or not.

OK, we completed our solar install this morning and had it fully operational at 12:00 (noon). We had a chilly night last night (about 55) and our water temp dropped down to 72 (left the solar cover off). By 3:30 PM our pool was at 78. Air temp was 85 and we were slightly overcast (not really good direct sunlight on the panels) from about Noon to 3:00 PM today. The highest I saw was 80 on the ET temp panel. The pool thermometer matched at 80 as well.

So, here's what you wanted to know about the temp / solar sensor. I discovered that they are the same part. Check this link and you will see that according to Pentair, PN 520272 can be used as an air / water / or solar sensor. I looked at ours and they all look the same and all attach to the same part of the ET board. It's just segmented for what the sensor is being used for (air, water, solar). I guess the software in the ET differentiates based on where it is wired. If you don't already have your ET, download the installation manual and you'll see the diagram I'm talking about on pg. 13.

http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/10KTemp ... nsorIG.pdf

I'm not sure exactly what it is looking for on the ET, but the box knows the difference when you wire it to the correct location. (This is easy to do as there are only 2 wires and they are clearly marked on the ET panel.) There is no temp sensor in the return line from the roof, so I was wrong about that in my first post. Perhaps I misunderstood the tech at Pentair on that concept. Overall, the install wasn't too big of a job for me, and the plumbing was the most complex part to me. Drilling holes in a roof that does not leak was another fear I had to overcome. We've already had a good rain since I installed the panels and so far so good. Let me know if you have any questions about my install.

Attachments

• solar 1.png
    solar 1.png
    34.8 KB · Views: 180
  • solar 2.png
    solar 2.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 179
  • solar 3.png
    solar 3.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 182
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.