Jandy ePump JEP1.5 making little noise when it turns off.

Jul 17, 2009
Hello all,
I have my Jandy ePump installed since about October 2010. If i stop its operation from basically any speed, it will make a small noise. That noise is somewhat similar to the noise you get when you press on the brakes on a bike (rubber pads)
The noise lasts for 1-2 seconds till it completely stops.
I need to know if that is normal or maybe it is a sign that something is not lubricated correctly and that it will eventually fail/start leaking if it is the shaft seal or bearings.

The other issue is the Power Wattage that it displays on the JEP control screen. I also hooked up an AMP meter and voltmeter and compared the Power VxI to the reading reported and go very large discrepancy.
The wattage reported on the JEP was:
912 Watts @ 2750 RPM while measuring 7.9A @ 239V (1888 Watt calculated)
or
115 Watts @ 1350RPM while measuring 1.5A @ 239V ( 358 Watt calculated)
Do you think the power factor is 1/2? What is the utility power meter measures/bills the total or the half?

Thanks!

Re: Jandy ePump JEP1.5 making little noise when it turns off

Never trust an amp meter to estimate watts used by a pump, it is going to be wrong. That doesn't mean that the reading from the pump is right, but I assure you the reading from the amp meter doesn't tell you much about that actual watts.

You can almost always use you electric meter to calculate the power used by the pump. It takes a little extra work, get a measurement with the pump off, get a measurement with the pump on, repeat to make sure nothing else changed (like the fridge cycling on). The extra work is worth it because you get a real number.

well after issues with the VS FLO PRO (zodiac-jandy-vs-flo-pro-2-0-two-broke-failed-t48532.html)

They installed a 3rd replacement - jandy JEP 1.5 ePump. Been in for a week and runs fine. I noticed last night when it came on a squeal/screech - this happens for a couple seconds at startup and about 1 second when it turns off - this happens consistently every time - is this normal for the pump? Sounds like it will lead to failure as it sounds like a metal/metal rub.

Thoughts? Normal or am I just the unluckiest guy on earth when it comes to pumps? This was installed by a Jandy preferred warranty serivceman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YzQ0H_EhY8

Hi Wicked,
I just checked your youtube clip. You only recorded the startup and not the shutdown, yet you say it makes the same "squeal/screech" sound.
For me, it make exactly same sound but only at shutdown.
This is very interesting and it would be great to hear from someone that was actually able to solve this mystery.
I personally think it is not metal to metal but more of a "dry" oring sound or that special sealing ring that seal from water going into the motor . Sorry that i forgot the exact name of it. So maybe it is just the material of it.
On my pump it was making this sound from probably the first month i installed it.
So far it is working fine.
I will make a youtube video and try to post too.

Ya I should have kept the video going and did shut down but its such a small and quick squeal (same exact noise just short and fast vs startup).

your right - I could see this being a rubber noise possibly too. How long have you had your pump? How often is it turned on/off per day?

Currently mine runs two different cycles per day.

After the failure of the two VS FLO Pro within 2 months I am very skeptical about pumps/quality. :) A pentair 1.5HP single speed whisperflo is what we replaced - which was the original pump about 8 years old and still worked(s) great.

Any additional insight or experience from you or anyone would be appreciated.

My pump would be running now almost 2 years. (22 months)
I run it one cycle a day about 10 hours in summer time since i push it up my solar panels at about 1800 RPM.
At winter timer, i was running it for couple of hours a day at very slow speed. Also freeze control did kick in couple of times at winter.

Again, for me it doesn't do that sound at start, only at turnoff.
I never took it apart, but if someone did, if would be nice to know if it makes that sound when you manually turn it.
Also if someone can comment on any other issues with this pump.

does it mean something is defective with it?
i was told otherwise...
maybe i should contact them again.
but im almost 2 years with it... :-(

The Jandy/Nordic preferred installer who they had put this pump in sent them the video and they advised to replace. Unfortunately I didn't talk to them. I will get more details from the installer once the part is in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

ha?!
I had a someone from a pool dealers come in and i was about to explain to him the issue. He basically didn't need anything from me. He told me it is the bearing. Not the shaft seal.
My thinking is that they use some (partially) defective bearings on the motor. (front or rear or both I'm not sure). It would be a shame if they are aware of the issue and can't fix it by changing it on the motors. Granted the motors are not manufactured by Jandy but Magnatech i think.
Also, bad bearings mean that eventually the motor will seize but it is not that fast. As most issues start when the shaft seal leaks and water goes down the shaft and rusts the bearing up to a point of failure. That failure comes with noise by the pump.
Those DC, 3phase motors with the control units are probably 80% of the pump costs. Maybe they bought 100,000's of them and don't want to dump them...

Interesting indeed. It seems there is more to the story then they reveal.

My pump installer said they told him its a carbon shaft seal making the noise.

Now I personally just got an email from jandy (as I was cc'd on the response to my installer) with them now saying:

"Hello all,
I do understand your concerns, our pump is a dc motor so it revs up and revs down at start up and shut down. It is common to hear a squeal at both, unlike a regular pump where it slaps on and off"

if that's the case, why did they replace the pump?
It would be great to hear from Pentair and Hayward variable pump users if they have similar noise issues. All those are DC motors that work with the same ramp up/down principles.

Just an update. Jandy gave me a free 3 year warranty on the pump so I am happy with that. Now that its been a month or so the squeal has gone away slightly. Maybe just a break in thing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.