Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cutting vinyl liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Cutting vinyl liner

Just wondering about enlarging the wholes in my agp. Bought a sand filter new for $100 (got to love walmart) and it seems too powerful for the smaller inlet/outlet. I have the larger inlet/outlet that threads together, just wondering if it's safe to just cut the liner larger or if you should put a patch of some sort then cut?? Thanks for any ideas/suggestion.
    12 x 33 above ground ring pool 1600 gallons; F600C pump; RP600 filter system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cutting vinyl liner

Welcome to TFP!!

Can you post a pic of your new inlet/ outlet?

In my experience the inlet/outlet through the wall fittings are all the same size. What you may be talking about is the size of the 'eyeball' or directional insert, in which case all you have to do is unscrew the 'setting ring' and put in the larger 'eyeball'.

If you do need to replace the entire through the wall fitting, I can offer advice and tips on doing it
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this an Intex pool or a hard-sided above-ground pool?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by marnichol
    Just wondering about enlarging the wholes in my agp. Bought a sand filter new for $100 (got to love walmart) and it seems too powerful for the smaller inlet/outlet. I have the larger inlet/outlet that threads together, just wondering if it's safe to just cut the liner larger or if you should put a patch of some sort then cut?? Thanks for any ideas/suggestion.
    Looks like someone beat me to it but I will ask the question also.
    By any chance do you have an Intex pool or is it a standard AGP? The sand filter is Intex right? If the pool is an Intex, there should already be some sort of patch applied to the liner that is bigger than the current inlet/outlet holes. If the patch is there you can safely cut the liner to the diamiter of the larger inlet/outlet fittings. I have an Intex pool and I added a thru-wall skimmer to mine and there is no patch around the BIG whole I cut and have had no problems with the liner. Post some pics othe pool if you can.
    P.S. If you update you signature with some pool specs it can help give everyone a better understanding of any future questions you may have. You update the signature in the control panel.
    Mark Crook
    13,500 Gallon 24' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame
    Intex Sand Filter and Pump, Intex SWG (All hard PVC plumbed)
    TFTestKit-100---Pool School---The Pool Calculator
    Location: Copperas Cove, Texas --- My Pool Build---Useful Links for Intex Pool Owners

5. Back To Top    #5

It's a cheap intex knock off. The inlet/outlet are "welded" in place. so I was wondering if the vinyl normally is strong enough to be cut then have the larger intex fittings screwed into place
    12 x 33 above ground ring pool 1600 gallons; F600C pump; RP600 filter system