Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool - What to stock and ancillary tools for the shed

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool - What to stock and ancillary tools for the shed

So we are getting a new pool 24' Above Ground 54" Impulse Ovation Resin and Aluminum pool from litehouse (A local chain in NE Ohio)
    I plan on Doing BBB and I know I will be getting the TF-100 Test kit.

So new pool is about 13500 Gallons ...how much Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda, Mur. Acid etc... should I stock on hand
    both for initial setup and for up to a season worth of stock (Roughly)

Also, what type of measuring Cups, Scales (for items measured in weight etc...) are you using?

I plan on adding a counter in my shed for keeping my notes and history , mixing, measuring etc... so what does everyone else have (Pics are always good!)

Also Anyone else here as geeky as me and using Excel to track test history and chem costs as I plan to do?

Thanks for all your inputs!
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool - What to stock and ancillary tools for the she

I'm by no means a geek - my measure is usually guessing tho I do have a 2 cup plastic measure cup on hand .
    You don't want to store too much bleach at once - as it loses strength exposed to the elements (unless your shed has central air.) I usually keep 2-4 jugs on hand.

2 large jugs of 6% should be more than enough to get you swimming from a chlorine standpoint. You want to test your fill water, using the TF100 and use those results to enter into the Pool Calculator to determine how much of each chem you are going to need.

Once you know your fill water results - you go from there. You will for sure need at least 5 lbs of CYA and you can get that at Walmart in the Pool Section. Go ahead and get two jugs because it comes in 4 lb cannisters - but it stores well.

Hope this helps
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

3. Back To Top    #3

Post back here with your test results if you aren't sure about what to do first.
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

4. Back To Top    #4

No need in loading the wagon yet till you see what your pool numbers are. I only store a couple weeks supply of bleach in the garage in the summer at a time due to heat. You might want to find a gallon jug graduated in ounces for adding muriatic acid down the road and you can use it for less than a gallon of bleach on those slow days too. You can use the measuring cup on the CYA jug to add that.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

When you order the TF100 kit make sure to get the speed stir as well with your oder.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mynewpool
    When you order the TF100 kit make sure to get the speed stir as well with your oder.
    huh? What is speed stir?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Candi
    huh? What is speed stir?
    It is something that makes test that you have to swirl so much easier. It makes sure your test sample gets mixed and swirled a lot easier than manually doing it.

Here you go

http://tftestkits.net/SpeedStir-Magneti ... r-p56.html

8. Back To Top    #8

It is something that makes test that you have to swirl so much easier. It makes sure your test sample gets mixed and swirled a lot easier than manually doing it.
    I just ordered my TF-100 and opted not to purchase the speed stirrer. How many tests require swirling? Is this device critical for accurate readings?
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

9. Back To Top    #9

Not critical at all. It makes testing way easier, but is really helpful for the CH test. Given you have a vinyl pool, CH won't be tested much so you should be ok (takes about 5 mins to do manually with high CH levels).

I use my speedstir for FAS-DPD testing, TA and CH...CYA testing and PH/TC testing do not require swirling
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by mx702
    I just ordered my TF-100 and opted not to purchase the speed stirrer. How many tests require swirling? Is this device critical for accurate readings?
    Not required but as said above makes testing a lot easier. I feel more confident with the test results I get using the stirer. Also do not have to worry about swirling and some of the same coming out of the tube especially when you do the 25 ML sample. Also helpful if you are shockin to test for high FC.

11. Back To Top    #11

Ya not required but we love our little testing toys. lol

12. Back To Top    #12

One more note here, bleach and liquid chlorine break down over time (faster at higher temperatures), so you want to store it in a cool location and only keep a month or so supply on hand (sort of like how a soda goes flat). Also note due to this issue, if you get fresh from the factory bleach it will often be stronger than labelled. Also read those labels bargin bleach may be 1.5-3% vs 5-6% for standard chlorine bleach. As to measuring containers it depends on the size of the pool, with a small pool you may be dealing in cups, with a large pool it may be gallons, yours is mid ranged so you may want a large measuring cup, but for most things you can guestimate pouring from the bottle.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    One more note here, bleach and liquid chlorine break down over time (faster at higher temperatures), so you want to store it in a cool location and only keep a month or so supply on hand (sort of like how a soda goes flat)
    Awesome! I have a CO2 tank with a 2 liter bottle fitting that I use to carbonate kool-aid. I can use my carbonator to carbonate my bleach so it won't go flat!
    Austin, TX, 15,000 Gallon, Sand Filter, IG plaster, 8 Gallon Liquidator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Noggin
    Awesome! I have a CO2 tank with a 2 liter bottle fitting that I use to carbonate kool-aid. I can use my carbonator to carbonate my bleach so it won't go flat!
    No, no. He didn't really mean "flat".

You just want to keep chlorine bleach out of the heat since it degrades faster when hot.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

15. Back To Top    #15

I can't believe that no one mentioned the refrigerator for beer
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

16. Back To Top    #16

Well played sir... actually that will be on the deck!!
    24' Round 54" Impulse Ovation AGP, 1.5 HP 2 Spd, 150 Sq Ft. Cartridge Filter, RayPak 130K BTU NG Heater, BBB in full effect!!
    Vist TFT Test Kits --- Visit Pool School ---
    Visit the Pool Calculator