Mosquito Traps

I don't have any experience with the Dragonfly System.

I use a propane hand fogger and if you get one of the better more expensive ones $79 to $119 they last forever. When the bugs are bad, I use it right at dusk for two nights in a row, then once every three days or so. I like the control it gives me and I have no mess or device to clean. Just a propane tank (like Coleman) and fill the reservoir when needed with fogger oil.

One of our friends have a system that mists the yard every night and it works very well. They spent big bucks and have a monthly maintenance fee 6 months out of the year.

Looks like the Dragonfly is in-between the two.

Do you fog the yard too, or just the trees around the pool? We have a creek about 30 yds behind the pool so they get pretty bad. Do you think those DYI foggers will work for that size area? What chemical do you use?

like2lean said:
Do you fog the yard too, or just the trees around the pool? We have a creek about 30 yds behind the pool so they get pretty bad. Do you think those DYI foggers will work for that size area? What chemical do you use?

I actually have two foggers. I use the same fogger insect oil in both foggers. I use the Burgess Bug Killer Insect Fog or the Black Flag Fogging Insecticide (mainly Burgess). I got tried of taking it (or more like forgetting it) on the weekend when we go to the cabin (a Black Flag Fogger at the Cabin and Burgess Fogger at home, both propane).

The cabin is deep in the woods and on a large creek. The bugs are really bad in the evening in the spring and summer. I fog an area about 5 to 10 feet deep about 20 feet out from the cabin all the way around it. On the side toward the creek, I also fog under the deck. I fog Thursday night right after we get in and again at dusk on Friday. That is normally good for the rest of the weekend unless its been really wet in the summer and the bugs are really bad. Never have had to fog more then once a night no matter how bad the bugs are.

We have heavy mature landscaping around the pool (plenty of places for bugs to live/hide). I fog at the base of the landscaping at the edge of the pool decking and let it float up into the scrubs then up into the trees. I fog the outlying area by the property line also when the bugs are really active.

Not seeing your property and pool, I would suggest Fogging 10 to 15 feet off the creek and working your way back up to the pool area (always stay up wind even if it means skipping an area and having to come back to it). If its to windy, don't fog. Depending on how bad the bugs are, you probably will be able to get by with fogging down by the creek once a week (Friday or Saturday at dusk) and up near the pool twice a week. If you don't use the pool daily, then just near the pool at dusk when you do.

Our friends mist system mists every night. With the fogger, you just fog when you need to.

The older Burgess units were built like tanks. The newer models have more plastic parts and aren't that different from the Black Flag Foggers. The Black Flag is easy to use, well balanced, and is designed to take the shorter propane tanks. Its only draw back for me is the fogger tank is part of the body/unit. The Burgess fogger tank screws off.

So if I were buying a new one, I would probably get the Black Flag. Its easy to use, one just has to be more careful when filling it. When I was taking the Burgess back and forth, it was nice to take the fogger tank off and pour the insecticide back into the bottle, wipe the tank down, and have a clean unit to put in the car. You try pouring the insecticide back into a bottle with the Black Flag and the fogger and bottle are going to be a mess. For stay at home use, this does not need to be done so its a non issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.