How often should you have to replace the whole filter

Mar 17, 2010
Spring, TX
I am wondering how often a whole filter assembly would need to be replaced. I am only asking because I feel as if my pool filter is fairly old but not sure on exact age. I am only asking becuase last year and this year I have been having an issue getting my filter to fully seal off so that it is not leaking. Last year I used some silicone sealant last year and this year to get it all removed was a little harder. This year I tried to get a new seal and the one made for my filter was too big. This was pair the book and the same thing online. So this year I use some sealant again, but does not seem to be sealing off that well. I may have to take it off and redo the sealant again. to see if I can get it to seal. The rubber seal does have a few nicks on it and has a slight cut in it as well. I dont want to have to go through this issue each year when I need take apart and clean it. Is there sometimes a date listed on the filter or anything?

Here is the filter I have

Pac Fab Nautilus Stainless Steel DE Filter Parts NS36

http://www.poolcenter.com/parts_filter_ ... us_nsp.htm

file.php

So anyone know an approximate cost it would be to replace this?

Thanks.

I've known people who's kept the same filter canister for many years (going on 20+ for the house my parents lived in last) and they just service the o-rings and media every few years. I think as long as it's not cracked or otherwise damaged, you can probably get away with just doing maintenance.

That said, if you want bigger or better, or a specific feature, changing is the way to go. I've changed filters twice in 2 years but only because I wasn't happy with performance before. Plenty happy now :)

Denis

denisbaldwin said:
I've known people who's kept the same filter canister for many years (going on 20+ for the house my parents lived in last) and they just service the o-rings and media every few years. I think as long as it's not cracked or otherwise damaged, you can probably get away with just doing maintenance.

That said, if you want bigger or better, or a specific feature, changing is the way to go. I've changed filters twice in 2 years but only because I wasn't happy with performance before. Plenty happy now :)

Denis

I am very happy with my filter right now. Does a very good job from what I can tell and others say. My problem though is having this issue each year with getting it all cleaned up. I just really do not want to have issues of getting it all tightned up each year. Seems like a real pain in the you know what.

I think maintenance is an unfortunate but necessary part of owning a pool. That includes the opening and closing of the pool, doing the spring cleaning, etc.

While I know it's a pain in the rump, it's also part of the ritual. For me, that makes the pool more enjoyable.

denisbaldwin said:
I think maintenance is an unfortunate but necessary part of owning a pool. That includes the opening and closing of the pool, doing the spring cleaning, etc.

While I know it's a pain in the rump, it's also part of the ritual. For me, that makes the pool more enjoyable.

Oh I do the maintenace that needs to be done. That is the reason I take the filter apart to clean it up. I do not think it should be that hard to get it sealed off again. Seems like it would be pretty easy to do.

So I found a hole in the metal part of the filter. I have tried to add some silicon sealant to cover the hole. Hopefully that will work.

If you are concerned about the o rings leaking after you open up the filter and can't find the correct parts to fix it, then you may want to go ahead and save up for a new filter. 36 sq ft is about the smallest filter available, so consider getting a larger filter if you want to clean it less often. You may also want to switch over to a large sand filter so you can just backwash periodically and not have to worry about cleaning the grids.

zea3 said:
If you are concerned about the o rings leaking after you open up the filter and can't find the correct parts to fix it, then you may want to go ahead and save up for a new filter. 36 sq ft is about the smallest filter available, so consider getting a larger filter if you want to clean it less often. You may also want to switch over to a large sand filter so you can just backwash periodically and not have to worry about cleaning the grids.

I very rarely have to clean it or even backwash for that matter. The O ring I got yesterday seems to be the correct one finally. It is just the fact of cleaning up all the old silicone that I put on. But yesterday got it all sealed up and no leaking. Just found out though there is a hole in the metal part of the filter. If the silicone does not seal it up, I think it will need to be replaced or placed under the band so it does not leak. The last time I cleaned it was a year ago, so I am trying to clean it up once a year. So I feel as if the 36 sq foot filter is adquate for my size pool. Water always looks clean with very little debris in the pool. I like the filteration of the DE filter, so I think I would move to a cartridge filter before a sand since cartridge seem to be the easy to maintain.

Would anyone have a recommendation for a new filter that could replace this one. I really do not want to have to have any replumbing done and the area where it is at is already pretty tight. So looking for something that could maybe be a direct replacement.

Thanks.

Also another thing I was wondering is I see a lot of the belly bands are supposed to have a spring along with a long tension nut. My bellt band uses two bolts with just a nut on both sides. For my particular filter is the the only way it can be done or have they made a redesigned belly band that only uses one bolt instead of two? It seems one bolt would be easier to have it to close than two.

Thanks.

Well looking at this, it seems our filter was manf a long time ago

http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/p ... s-232.htm#

I am looking at a possible replacment lid and at the bottom there is a small note.

4: Filters manufactured before December 16, 1991 utilize a different tank top and bottom that is not interchangeable w/current units. There are no replacement Part Numbers for filters manufactured before December 16, 1991.

And about the belly bands.

5: Filters manufactured before April 1, 1992 contain a different clamp band assembly. Replacement clamp band components are no longer available for these units. Replace old obsolete non-spring design clamp w/new spreing design clamp band to upgrade your filter if any components are damaged. Spring design clamp bands do not require use of a torque wrench and simplify installation of the clamp. Do not attempt to interchange components between the different clamp band designs.

All of the Triton sand filters we have at our hotel and the Harmsco cartridge filter are circa 1986 and for the most part still work very well. One sprang a tiny leak a few years ago but the pool putty held up just fine ever since with no leaks. With that said though, I think we'll looking into new ones soon as well. (I hope...)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would have to be the luckiest guy on the face of the earth to find a new filter that matches up exactly to your old filter's inlet and outlet fittings! If the filter is working fine now, then save your pennies and continue with the research until you find the filter of your dreams! You may try taking a photo of the current filter and write down the measurements of the current fittings. (height from the ground, distance between the fittings) Maybe that will help you find a good fit for the replacement. If your current filter is on a base the new filter may not fit the base and that would also throw the height measurements off.

Anyway, you know what you're doing and I am just throwing out free advice! Good luck!

zea3 said:
You would have to be the luckiest guy on the face of the earth to find a new filter that matches up exactly to your old filter's inlet and outlet fittings! If the filter is working fine now, then save your pennies and continue with the research until you find the filter of your dreams! You may try taking a photo of the current filter and write down the measurements of the current fittings. (height from the ground, distance between the fittings) Maybe that will help you find a good fit for the replacement. If your current filter is on a base the new filter may not fit the base and that would also throw the height measurements off.

Anyway, you know what you're doing and I am just throwing out free advice! Good luck!

All of the advice I am getting is appreciated. I think the silicone sealant on the outside of the filter is going to work. I found a few more small leaks yesterday when I got home. Put some sealant in those places and will try again this afternoon.

I think I have just about given up on getting the filter resealed. I have tightned the bolts down to the point where they will not tighten anymore easily. I have put a silicone sealant all around the outside around the band and still getting a few small leaks. I may deal with it this season and save up for a new filter later on in the year. I am guessing in the winter time the work load for pools may be a little lower and maybe get a better deal on a filter.

Well from talking with pentair I may need to get and try new belly bands. They are saying after 20+ years, which is likely when those are made have just come loose and are not holding that well anymore. So I may give that a try and see if that works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.