Establishing a new pool using BBB

Red Shirt Ensign

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 10, 2011
Hi all,

have a new ABG going in next monthsometime... I've been reading and asking many questions and love the forum. :party:

I am sold on BBB but how do you implement it from opening the new pool? IE what do you start the water with before using the BBB principles I have been reeading about. pool shock etc...

My pool will have a chlorinator/brominator which will use Chlorine but does it even have a use in BBB if you are adding most items directly into the water by teh filter outlet??

What is the start up procedure? I will be getting a TF-100 kit after I sign up as a lifetime member here very soon (using the discounts off course)
and I will use the Psiflow pool calculator using TFP pool settings. but how should I go about deciding what my target measures should be?

Thanks
Dan

Hey Dan, It's very easy to implement BB on a brand new pool. The first thing you'll need is the test kit. Once you have that and the pool full, you run the complete set of tests except for CYA. Your fill water won't have any so there's no use wasting reagent. Then when you set the Pool Calc up with your "Now" numbers and for TFP recommendations it'll give you a range. I usually set my target in the middle of the range. You can adjust them a little later if you need to. It will then tell you how much of what, you need to add. You can also post the numbers here and we'll give you our recommendations too.

What should I have on hand

Clorox, Baking Soda, Borax, for sure

should I also purchase a stock of Muriatic and anything else? How much is a realistic level to stock for future use?

Will the pool store frown upon BBB or should i have them deduct the Chem startter pack off my bill?
My guess is I should pretend to be servicing with the starter pack

The only thing you'll need to have on hand is chlorine. You'll probably want some CYA (stabilizer) too because new fill won't have any, and while it's not an emergency, you'll want some in there pretty soon after fill. Wait for everything else until after your tests results.

The PS most likely won't actually give you a credit for the starter kit, so you might as well take it and use whatever you need out of it. However, it won't hurt to ask. They might trade it for some liquid chlorine or stabilizer.

Hi Dan :wave:

I just 'got' your username , very cool :goodjob: (in the opening scene from a Star Trek episode, if a 'red shirt ensign' beams down with Kirk, et. al., his life expectancy is measured in seconds :lol: )

Unless you have a SWCG, you shouldn't need the muriatic acid (unless you intentionally bring your Borate level to ~50 all at once)

{harrumph!, I see Dave responded before I could even type the third paragraph :p listen to his sage advice :cheers: }

Great advice so far :goodjob: How do you plan on filling the pool? If you are using your own water supply, test it for PH, TA and CH and that will help us let you know exactly what you'll need to keep on hand. If you are using water from your home supply, make sure you test a water sample from your garden hose, which normally does not run through a water softner.

Some fill water is really easy to adjust (avg TA, neutral PH and low CH) while fill water that I have in Dutchess Cty, NY has a lot to be desired (TA was 250+ and CH was 300+)..but since I'm on a town supplied well, the fill only cost me $45 vs $700+ having it trucked in. The main draw back was that I went through 8 gallons of MA to lower my TA and need to keep an eye on my PH due to high CH fill water. Obviously with my TA so high, I never need Baking Soda or much Borax (other than to adjust my Borate level). Adding Borates is optional for a new pool, and I would advise adding Borates down the road, when you get everything else adjusted.

That said, if your fill water is pool friendly, you may only need Chlorine and CYA as Dave mentioned

Hope that helps!

I don't have an install date yet (They like to start around april 1 weather pending and about 20 installs ahead of me)
I am going to order the test kit soon (TF100) (and lifetime member since I like to support the things that support me)

When I do I will post my water results.
I am on city water so it will be interesting to see the results better be clean i drink enough of it!

When you test the city water, let the sample sit awhile, maybe overnight. Water mains tend to be under high pressure and so more gases are entrained and the pH is lower than it will be when the excess CO2 departs.

Thanks everyone keep the advice coming in!! I can't wait to get this pool in/on the ground!! We had a huge rain today and I was disappointed that means the stump grinders won't be coming for a few more days!!!

Still no stump grinders grrrr.... Pool package delivery this wednesday... as an early April fools joke we had 2 inches of snow Wednesday but it all melted already
now if we can just get the temps up good thing I dropped for the heater too seems like Cleveland is due for a cool spring this year!

TF-100 arrived yesterday... will do a water test on the city water during the weekend!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'll add to the pros advice, don't go buy baking soda, MA, borax, unless you live a long way from the store and can take it back. I bought all of the above and the industrial container of baking soda and borax is still sitting in the garage (I was BBB from day one). I've added probably 5 gallons of MA and TA still needs to come down some to stop pH creep.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.