Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Heat pump E5900

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Heat pump E5900

I have quite a large solar system, which is set up to heat the pool we just installed last fall. It's a in ground 16,000 gallon pool. We fully insulated the pool in the ground and plan on using a solar cover. We also insulated all of the pipes to and from the pool. I also built the concrete pad large enough for a heat pump because on the cloudy days I'd like to have the option of heating. We don't have gas or propane to use because the house is geothermal and solar.

I found this Hayward E5900 50K BTU heat pump and I'm not sure I can pass up the cost, $600. Is there any reason not to buy something like this? It doesn't seem beat up and the guy needs to sell it because they are moving.

I don't normally buy used equipment but this seems like a deal I am having a hard time passing up.

Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hayward Heat pump E5900

Quote Originally Posted by jongig

I don't normally buy used equipment but this seems like a deal I am having a hard time passing up.

Considering the market for a product like that I'd offer $400

It's quite a bit small for you pool, but if you can get it to knock the chill off for that cheap it may be worth it.

I would advise you to size the utilities (not fuses, but wire) for a big boy heat pump for when you have to replace this one.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Hayward Heat pump E5900

I agree with Racket. If you can get it for $400 I say try it out. If it's on good shape you can always sell it if it doesn't work for you. I also agree with him about upsizing the wiring so you don't have to redo it later. Because you know once you get a taste for the heat you're gonna want bigger.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit