Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2.5in above ground/2in underground

1. Back To Top    #1

2.5in above ground/2in underground

I need to upgrade the pool equipment for a 40k gallon pool with spa (4 pool return lines, farthest return line at ~ 40-50 ft).

Former setup: 1 WhisperFlo 1.5hp , 1 pump (Century) for pool cleaner, 1 pump (Purex) for spa jets, 2 mechanical clocks, filter (DE, broken), missing heater
    New equipment: 1 Intelliflo 4x160 (3050), EasyTouch 4 + IC40, Sta-Rite SR400NA Max-E-Therm heater, Hayward C425 filter

A pool guy recommended using 2.5 in PVC pipe ( not carried by Home Depot or Lowes) for plumbing (above ground) , even though underground it's only 2in PVC.

Will this actually help? Any thoughts will be appreciated.

34,000 gal Pool & Spa combination, IntelliFlo 3050 (4 x 160) pump
    ET4 + IC40, Sta-rite heater, Hayward cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

South Central NJ

Re: 2.5in above ground/2in underground

For the above ground plumbing, you won't see any noticeable reduction in head loss.

Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

There are some small advantages to using a large pipe size on the equipment pad if you have multiple pipe runs out to the pool in each direction. That gives you a larger pipe size for places where the flow from more than one pipe combines. The advantage is small and PoolGuyNJ is correct that you won't see any noticeable improvement.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

New Jersey

I presume all the equipment is 2in. inlets and outlets? It can't make much difference. I would be sure to go with the larger outside connecting valves (2" outside/2.5" inside) valves on 2" plumbing rather than the inside ones (2"inside/1.5"outside). The choke point at the valves is more important than the short pad runs, in my view.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.