Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Behind liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Behind liner?

Hi all,

Noticed over the weekend that I have a small "pool" of water trapped behind the liner on one wall. Not sure how long it's been there. It's up near the surface of the water, about the diameter of a basket ball.

Any thoughts?
    18x36 In-ground Vinyl, 24,000 gallons.
    Sand Filter, 1hp Hayward.
    SWG
    Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Behind liner?

HI, you asked for thoughts and I'll give you mine (good or bad )

You need to alleviate the 'surface water' that is causing your liner to bulge! There has been talk here about 'well points', etc. but you need a way to keep the water from 'puddling' around your pool area, and relieve that water quickly, so that it doesn't cause any permanent damage

How is the topography of your yard? Is it possible to make a drainage line to keep the water from 'puddling' around your pool?

We can help you plan and implement drainage, but we need to know your yard (a pic would be VERY helpful )

Even if you make a 'trench' to alleviate the excess water - as the water subsides, brush or, by hand, work out any wrinkles that form.

This is woefully incomplete but do what you can and ask us questions
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

You can see this in the spring after some heavy rains. Have you guys had any rains lately? Ever done this before?
    A lot of times it will go away on its own when the water in the soil starts to drain.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

It has never done this before. We have had a good bit of rain, but the location of the pool and the location of the bubble have me doubting that it's ground water...

Hmmm......
    SWG
    Polaris 280

5. Back To Top    #5

It cant be water from the pool, if thats what you're thinking. It's ground water.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just below the water line? Wouldn't I see bigger evidence of ground water along the bottom of the pool?
    SWG
    Polaris 280

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoEd
    Wouldn't I see bigger evidence of ground water along the bottom of the pool?
    Not necesserily. But it cant be water from the pool causing a bulge. It has to be water pressure from outside the pool to push a bulge out to overcome the pressure of the water already in the pool.
    Theres no way water from inside the pool can overcome the pressure of the water pushing against the liner to allow water to get behind it. It has to come from the outside.
    Does that make sense? I probably didnt explain it very well, it's kinda late

8. Back To Top    #8

That makes perfect sense! Now, what to do about my bulge? Thanks for taking the time to explain it to me...now go to bed!!!

SWG
    Polaris 280

9. Back To Top    #9

What kind of decking and how wide is it?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

10. Back To Top    #10

Concrete. 4ft.
    SWG
    Polaris 280

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like your are going to need a perimeter drain just under the grass to pull surface water away and send it elsewhere or you have a leaking irrigation line near there.

Scot
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.