Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can Pentair WhisperFlo be converted to Intelliflo?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can Pentair WhisperFlo be converted to Intelliflo?

With the new years comes more money to throw at the pool, so I'm considering the move to an Intelliflo mid-summer. I have a wonderful 3/4HP whisperflo right now. It's substantially better on the electric bill than the 2HP Hayward I had before. Is there any way to swap out some components (perhaps the motor end?) on the whisperflo to turn it into an intelliflo? or is it an all or nothing kind of swap?

If it's an all or nothing, anyone interested in a lightly used less than a year old Whisperflo?

Denis
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can Pentair WhisperFlo be converted to Intelliflo?

I believe the cost of the motor and drive is nearly the same if not more than the entire pump so there really isn't much point in a conversion. Sell the Whisperflo on Craig's list.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Also the impeller/diffuser would be different. Possibly other parts also. Like Mark said you would be best just buying a new unit.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

4. Back To Top    #4

Guess I'll be buying a new unit sometime mid summer then. Is the 4 x 160 the best unit I can get? Looking for the one with maximum efficiency.
    Clearwater, Florida

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you already have a controller? The 4x160 can be controlled manually but if you have a controller, it makes things a lot easier.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mas985
    Do you already have a controller? The 4x160 can be controlled manually but if you have a controller, it makes things a lot easier.
    No controller yet. Was going to be my investment next year (or when I get my next work bonus, so maybe sooner).
    Clearwater, Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Instead, you could go with a VF which has a built in timer/controller but it won't control anything else.
    Mark