Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Minumum Pump Time?

1. Back To Top    #1

Minumum Pump Time?

Is there an absolute minimum amount of time that you should run your pump? My pump and cartridge filter are oversized for my pool. I estimate that my pump is pulling about 100 gallons per minute which means that my water completely circulates in just over 1.5 hours. I've read that the goal is to turn the water over at least once a day. I'm still figuring out how long my pump needs to run for the Aqua Rite to chlorinate my pool at the proper level, but ignoring that issue for now, is there a recommended minimum number of hours that you should run the pump so the water does not become stagnant?
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Minumum Pump Time?

No, there isn't any specific minimum. You just need to run the pump so that enough filtering happens so that the water looks good. In practice this is often around one turnover per day worth of run time, but it can vary from that depending on various factors like water temperature and bather load. If your water looks good after two hours of pump run time, then go for it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Minimum Pump Time?

Thanks. I've probably been running it way too long. Over the weekend I cut it back to about 6.5 hours a day (3.5 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening) and I may even go lower depending on how long I need for the Aqua Rite to do its job.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit