Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: In ground sand filter on above ground pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

In ground sand filter on above ground pool?

Hey guys/gals, I've been lurking for some time and now I finally have a question albeit rhetorical, actually I just need my research verified. First, a little about myself, I've kept an Intex pool for 7 years and I had upgraded to a waterway TWM 19" sandfilter with a 1hp pump, I know, more pump than I need. Anyway, this year our family took the plunge and ordered a 15x30, 52" deep AGP. I did the install and everything went smoothly until I started the plumbing, here's where my headaches began. I've always been a strong guy and I have realized my strenght is not an asset when putting together pool fittings, needless to say I've cracked my return, skimmer and sand filter valve screwing in the 1-1/2" threaded adapters, so I got out my plumbers goop and duct tape and gave eveything the old redneck fix while my replacements arrive and I babysit my pump while it's running. I know I could just replace the valve on the filter, but I might as well upgrade. My question is do I go with the Hayward s210 21" specified for AGP's or go for the s244 24" sand filter specified for inground pools. Based on the threads I've read on this site, the only difference on most products is a marketing gimmick, hopefully this translates to sand filters as well.

PS I have a Taylor 2006c and started out with the BBB method, no problems there.
    Here's one pool pic, I've got build photos ill save them for another post
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    New Orleans, LA

Re: In ground sand filter on above ground pool?

I'm not sure on that specific filter but most of the time an above ground filter has a plastic tank and an in-ground filter has a fiberglass tank. A well-built plastic tank should do just fine.
    Josh Ulfers - TFP Supporting Vendor - - 888-725-8766 - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Where filters are concerned bigger is better. I would go with the 24" or even bigger. You're gonna have about 13,000 gallons of water in that thing so a bigger filter will be a good thing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the s220 on a agp and love it, either that or the 244t will serve you just fine.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator