Intex SWG with Copper question.

crookm11

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2010
Copperas Cove, Texas
Hi everyone, :wave:

I currently have one of the Intex SWG without copper model#8110. I have been looking for an extra Intex SWG pre-copper to have on stand by for awhile now. I think it is impossible to find these anymore. I have asked every ebay seller that has them listed and have been told that they are selling the SWG with copper only. Looks like there are no more to be found. With that being said, it leads me to my questions.
I know that the none copper unit puts out about 24 grams of chlorine and the new copper units put about about 12 grams of chlorine plus the copper ionization. I also know that metals in pool water is not that great either.

1: For those that are using the Intex SWG with copper, have you had to run the SWG longer to keep the chlorine level correct? (Asuming the pool water chemistry is correct and balanced)
2: Has anyone disconected the copper plates off of the SWG?
3: How did you cap off the opening to the copper plates after removal?
4: Can you use a standard Intex end cap to cap off the opening?
5: Can the wire to the copper plates be just cut off or will it have to be disconected from inside the unit?
6: Does the SWG with copper hold the settings after a power outage or do you still have reset the unit everytime?
7: After the copper is removed can the unit be modified to put out more chlorine?
8: Does anyone know if you plug one of the new cells into an older unit if the new cell will produce more chlorine?

Just a few questions to see if it is worth it to buy one of the new units. The price sure seems like it is a good deal. :whoot:

Pictures of any modifications would be great.

Thanks for the reply Jason.
I have read just about every topic on the Intex SWG and came up with the same conclusion as you. I'm hopeing someone will post a little more info on their experiences with the new unit. I'm really needing the info on how the unit is caped off after the copper is removed.

Mark, I feel your pain :lol:

I went through the same at the end of the last summer (looking for a spare unit). Ordered what was advertised as a 56601E (2009 8110 model) and received the 2010+ 54601. When I contacted the seller, he wanted to make sure that I knew he shipped me a more expensive model by accident and was willing to eat the cost, so he couldn't understand my persistence in requesting the return/exchange request for the older model...that said, he did come through for me.

Keep checking ebay and craigslist...I hate the fact that it loses the time setting after power failure, but at $139 I really can't expect more.

Try googling 56601e or in ebay, make sure to check off "search in item description"...you may still find one here or there :goodjob:

dmanb 2b......I found the "2009" model through Amazon.com, sold by "CMS Worldwide sales".....I don't suppose that is the same company you bought your "older model" (or so you thought) from????

I'm just about to convert my pool to the SWG upon opening.....and have been told the 2009 model is the way to go.....so, kinda afraid to order online....Thanks for any info you can give me!!!

Just to answer #2 in the OP's post, I just cut the plates off mine and disconnected the power wire. I've been looking for a cap to make it look a bit nicer, but haven't found one yet. I have mine set to run 8 hours/day, which keeps my pool at about 5ppm chlorine, CYA is at 50ppm. The pool gets about 4-6 bather/hours a day, sometimes more, and is in full sun about 10 hours/day.

Thanks for the replys everyone. Like dman said there may be one here or there still, well last night I got one off of ebay for $110 shipped (pre-2010 W/O Copper). :party: I talked with the lister and she told me that it has no copper and was only installed for 2 weeks before there pool was taken down. :whoot: So I now have an extra one just in case. I hope it still works! For the price, I took the chance.

There are many of the 09 models listed on ebay right now but beware!!!! I asked every seller on ebay that was listing the 09 model and they all told me they don't have them anymore. They are shipping out the 10 model with copper. They are listing the 09 model so they can sell the 10 model at a lower price. Just beware of that. I bought mine from just a individual seller not a buisness.

laweatherred said:
dmanb 2b......I found the "2009" model through Amazon.com, sold by "CMS Worldwide sales".....I don't suppose that is the same company you bought your "older model" (or so you thought) from????

I'm just about to convert my pool to the SWG upon opening.....and have been told the 2009 model is the way to go.....so, kinda afraid to order online....Thanks for any info you can give me!!!

Nope...got it through ebay and the store manager I spoke to specifically stated that he had one left and if I really wated the "old one" he would accept my return.

This was the seller I had dealt with back then...and the listing still says 2009 model??? (it wouldn't hurt to contact them to clarify and they were very pleasent to work with, even with the return and all)

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-INTEX-Pool-Salt ... 518a46aae7

I bought my original from this seller, although all they currently have listed is a combo pkg...but may be worth contatcting them to see if they would sell the swg only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTEX-SALTWATER ... 5196799f91

The other listing I found was 7th ave electronics (never deatlt with)....the picture they have is certainly the 56601,...again I would contact them to confirm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intex-Saltwater-Sys ... 53e5c8a460

dmanb2b said:
laweatherred said:

Nope...got it through ebay and the store manager I spoke to specifically stated that he had one left and if I really wated the "old one" he would accept my return.

This was the seller I had dealt with back then...and the listing still says 2009 model??? (it wouldn't hurt to contact them to clarify and they were very pleasent to work with, even with the return and all)

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-INTEX-Pool-Salt ... 518a46aae7

I bought my original from this seller, although all they currently have listed is a combo pkg...but may be worth contatcting them to see if they would sell the swg only.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTEX-SALTWATER ... 5196799f91

The other listing I found was 7th ave electronics (never deatlt with)....the picture they have is certainly the 56601,...again I would contact them to confirm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Intex-Saltwater-Sys ... 53e5c8a460
Hi dmanb2b and everyone else,
Those are the exact sellers I contacted in reference the "2009 Model" that they have listed. All three of them told me the same thing. "We don't have that model anymore." Then they asked me why I insisted I want the "older" model and not the new one. I didn't go in to details about the unit but told them I just didn't want any metals in my pool just in case they possibly had a scratch and dent model or return they would sell me. No such luck. Thats when I asked them why they are still listing the "older" model eventhough they don't have any left. I was told Intex requires that any seller of there products sell at the suggested price set by Intex for current model year. The sellers can get away with selling the new stuff at cheaper prices by listing as outdated models. Hope this helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
laweatherred said:

I have an email out to these fine folks. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

Candi said:
laweatherred said:

I have an email out to these fine folks. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

So these people emailed me back and asked why I would only want a 2009. Do they really not know?

It would appear to be a dangerous corporate strategy, not too bad for liner pools but not good at all for concrete/plaster/tiled pools and only outputting approx 50% of the chlorine is probably ok with the copper but without it...........why would you?
My dislike of SWG came from the old units that weren't really up to the job. I suppose you couldn't do anything against the company if you disconnect the copper ioniser and it will invalidate your warrantee once you have done so but is it just the price of the unit that is drawing you like a moth to the flame?

Buy something else.

Just noticed crookm11's address, Copperas Cove, presumably there is already copper in the water supply :wink:

I have one of the newer units, I'm about to set up my pool again with this set up. If I remember correctly I think it only produces the copper in the boost cycle. I guess i'll check the manual.

could someone point me in the direction of why the new copper thing is bad??? i went back to 2009 in the pages here, but dont see anything. i did find one thread, but it just talked about green hair.....i want to get a new SWG, but i'm scared now cuz of all the bad vibes im getttin from this thread....please help!!!
and bbhead, did u ever find out if the copper is only produced when the boost cycle is on?????
did the OP ever figure out how to work around the copper thing....i dont want to buy one then break it cuz i'm trying to do something i shouldnt be doing.....

i just have the intex above ground pool.
thanks for any responses!

The copper is bad because if the staining it causes over time. It's not something that's going to be a problem right off. If the units truly only produce copper ions durnig the boost cycle then you could leave it hooked up and just never use the boost feature. It's very easy to unhook the copper electrical cable from the unit though.

is that the only issue u guys/gals are having or seeing or hearing with these units. i thought i also read that the cells??? are smaller so they dont work as good and u have to run them more???? is that just a bad thing based on running the unit more and having to replace it or something????
i sent the one person a PM asking if they had a chance to confirm that about the copper boost cycle too.

thanks Bama for your response!!!!

Bama Rambler said:
It's very easy to unhook the copper electrical cable from the unit though.
and also, do u just cut it? or do i have to take things apart???? i read one person say they needed a cap or something after they did it....that cant be good :? or was it just for looks????
why would they even put it in there if its bad???????? :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.