Hi all .. what a great site!

First, I'd like to thank Lsbarkley for pointing me toward this great site!! Second , I already have a question.. or more of a poll .. if you'd care to provide your input. :wink:

Im still in the pool hunting process. Am considering both vinyl inground and fiberglass. Have any of you out there had experience with both types, and if so which would you choose if you had the option? This is really a tough decision for me, so any and all voices of experience will be helpful !

Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you. :-D

Kv

Hi, Kv,

Welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of info here....glad you joined in. Both IG vinyl and fiberglas are good pools. If I could name one item that is important, I think I'd say that fiberglass has the most tendency towards staining of any pool.

Now, that said, if you manage your pool water properly, staining becomes a non-issue. Staining in any pool is the result of something out of whack so if you look deep inside yourself and decide that some understanding of pool water chemistry and VERY regular maintenance are just not your thing, I would suggest steering away from fiberglass.

The understanding and maintenance is pretty easy, however.....take a look at mbar's beautiful pool in the pool pics section. She has troublesome, staining water in a fiberglass pool but manages it very nicely and has done so for a number or years.

I'll let others chime in with some other thoughts but that one difference stands out in my mind.

Welcome KV
I have a fb pool and I love it. Duraleigh is correct about staining but it is controllable. I have to work a little because of iron stains . I have never had a vl pool so I cant comment on those but I will say the fb pool is a very easy pool to maint. and has few problems and the install goes quick. If you can find a shell that you like I would highly recommend a fiberglass pool.What ever you choice good luck there is plenty of help here. Ric W