Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hi all .. what a great site!

1. Back To Top    #1

Hi all .. what a great site!

First, I'd like to thank Lsbarkley for pointing me toward this great site!! Second , I already have a question.. or more of a poll .. if you'd care to provide your input.

Im still in the pool hunting process. Am considering both vinyl inground and fiberglass. Have any of you out there had experience with both types, and if so which would you choose if you had the option? This is really a tough decision for me, so any and all voices of experience will be helpful !

Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

Kv

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Hi, Kv,

Welcome to the forum. There's a wealth of info here....glad you joined in. Both IG vinyl and fiberglas are good pools. If I could name one item that is important, I think I'd say that fiberglass has the most tendency towards staining of any pool.

Now, that said, if you manage your pool water properly, staining becomes a non-issue. Staining in any pool is the result of something out of whack so if you look deep inside yourself and decide that some understanding of pool water chemistry and VERY regular maintenance are just not your thing, I would suggest steering away from fiberglass.

The understanding and maintenance is pretty easy, however.....take a look at mbar's beautiful pool in the pool pics section. She has troublesome, staining water in a fiberglass pool but manages it very nicely and has done so for a number or years.

I'll let others chime in with some other thoughts but that one difference stands out in my mind.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    No experience with FG pool, but there are very knowlegable people here with FG pools. Another pool for the Jersey shore. Welcome to TFP. Check out the sister site

http://www.grillwithskill.com/

Also a good test kit like the one in the post above Dave's post, when your closer to getting a pool done.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome KV
    I have a fb pool and I love it. Duraleigh is correct about staining but it is controllable. I have to work a little because of iron stains . I have never had a vl pool so I cant comment on those but I will say the fb pool is a very easy pool to maint. and has few problems and the install goes quick. If you can find a shell that you like I would highly recommend a fiberglass pool.What ever you choice good luck there is plenty of help here. Ric W
    Ric W
    My Pool
    8605 gal fiberglass, 3/4 hp pump, sand filter, aquabot cleaner, heat siphon heat pump, tiger river(sumatran) spa

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for your advice. I believe the iron staining would be an issue here too because we have well water. A concern but still doesn't make the fiberglass pool out of the question.

kv

6. Back To Top    #6
    I agree with Ric. Whatever pool you decide to purchase and have installed there are people here who can get you through any problems you have!

Good luck with what ever you decide .....
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!