Shouldn't the chlorine feeder be last

Craig

LifeTime Supporter
May 24, 2007
Staten Island NY
Split off of this topic. JasonLion

Thanks for the pix Bama! We know you were just too busy helping us to cut those attractive tails! :mrgreen:

I was getting ready to pull the trigger on the liquidator, read the install instructions, and found it weird that it should be installed before the pool equipment. I therefore decided to check with the experts here at TFP and found this thread. So my question becomes, doesn't installing a chlorine feeder before the pool equipment, especially the heater go against conventional wisdom? Isn't this why we recommend adding chemicals in front of the returns? Inserting pucks in the skimmer a bad idea? etc. etc.

I'm sure I am missing something, just not sure what that is.

There are actually lots of different tradeoffs, not a simple rule like put the chlorine feeder last. SWGs should be last because of the hydrogen gas they give off, not the chlorine. Pucks in the skimmer create concentrated puddles of acidic chlorine when the pump is off, which then travel through the plumbing in a clump when the pump turns back on. Tablet feeders and the liquidator both feed chlorine very slowly, at least if they are working correctly, so it is essentially alright if they feed in before the pump, even though it isn't completely ideal.

Wow you're quick and thanks as usual!

Do you or anyone else know if the liquidator can be installed differently? It think the trade off is worth it either way, but I believe I would feel better if I was to install the liquidator after the heater.

The Liquidator needs a pressure difference between the input(high pressure) and the output(low pressure) to work. Normally it uses the pressure difference across the input and output of the pump to do that. There are other ways to create a pressure difference to drive flow through the Liquidator, but none of them are nearly as simple to create as the pre-existing pressure difference across the pump.

The second choice is probably to use a Venturi injector to create the low pressure input after the heater. It is just that by the time you go to the trouble of installing one of those, there are simpler ways to make use of it than a Liquidator.

I'll add that the Liquidator Install Diagram freaked out my PB. He has never installed one before and is a little concerned about the chlorine going in before the pump. I spoke with Simicrintz about the install. If I under stand (and that is a big IF):::He tells me that the Liquid Chlorine level in the Liquidator is supposed to be well below the output line. The chlorine and water will separate like oil and water with the chlorine on the bottom. The ventuti like flow created by the Liquidator install will circulate a large volume of water through the system; pulling a small amount of chlorine up from the bottom.

Also don't let the inlet/outlet confuse you. The inlet of the LQ goes on the return line and the outlet of the LQ goes to the pump suction.

The LQ works by diffusion. The hypo will diffuse slowly into the water if there's no agitation so the amount of chlorine in the water is very low but it moves a lot of water through the system just as you described.

I checked the water coming out of my Liquidator, and it is only about 3ppm higher than the water in the pool, so it isn't anywhere near a level that will cause equipment issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
racket said:
JohnT said:
I checked the water coming out of my Liquidator, and it is only about 3ppm higher than the water in the pool, so it isn't anywhere near a level that will cause equipment issues.

I'd be interested to see what the pH was .

I'll check when I open and get things stabilized. Remember though that there is roughly 16 parts pool water to 1 part Liquidator output by the time the water gets to the pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.