New Hayward EcoStar Installed

phalcon51

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2010
So. California
I just had a new Hayward SP3400 VSP EcoStar installed yesterday and so far I'm really pleased with it. It's very quiet compared to the Pentair 1.5hp SuperFlo it replaced. The installer noted that even though we had the pool builders replace all the plumbing when we replastered the pool and put in a new deck last Sept. they used 1 1/2" instead of 2" piping. As a result, the best install of the pump necessitated replacing the existing Jandy Valve with a 2" unit and plumbing in a few pieces of 2" PVC going to and from the pump above ground. His opinion was that the PB should have used 2" throughout allowing better flow and less work for the pump. Unfortunately, I didn't know about TFP back then or I would have run the whole rebuild past you guys.

Here's the old pump:
DSC01782.jpg

And here's the new one"
DSC01786.jpg

Be that as it may, the new pump is great. I got a good deal on it through Leslie's with free installation and a $200 rebate from So. Cal. Edison. I'll update this thread when I get next month's electric bill and see how much the difference is.

I'm still reading through the manual to learn how to program it for the most efficient use. Can anyone give me some recommendations for speeds and runtimes? Should I be looking at just one turnover per day, or more than that? I'd like to run the cleaner for maybe 2 hrs. a day which will necessitate a higher pump speed. Should I run it at top speed for cleaning or something lower?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary

The ideal speed and run time vary quite a bit from pool to pool. A good starting point is to run the pump around 1000 RPM and aim for one turnover per day. You want a low speed to save electricity, but not so low that the skimmer stops skimming effectively. Depending on your pool, you might be able to go below 1,000 RPM or need something higher. You can also adjust the run time up and down somewhat to see how short you can make it and still have everything look great.

What's the best way to figure out how long it takes to do one turnover? Are there stats somewhere on the gpm rates of various pumps at different rpm's? How much is it affected by the distance of the pump from the pool? Mine's about 45 feet away.

Wow, thanks a lot Mark! Now, if you could just tell me how to use it as I'm a complete Excel Dummy. Do I change some of the numbers to match what I've got? If so, what fields do I change? Does it automatically recalculate?

Thanks for the help

Gary

Sorry, I guess I left out the details. In general, the spreadsheet makes use of the relationship betweem GPM, RPM, Watts and Head loss. For a specific RPM setting, you can determine the power usage of the pump in the diagnostic window. Once you have the RPM and Watts values, you can plug them in on the "Watts_In" tab and get the estimated GPM on line 6. "Actual GPM" is just a reference and is not used in the calculation. Lines 11-19 show how well the model fits the actual CEC data. The "Actual GPM" in this case is CEC reported value.

The Watts Table is something you can print out to have sort of a quick reference. It is used in a similar maner to the calculation. Go along the RPM row until you hit a wattage that is close to the pump's reported value and loolup the GPM value. The Head Table is similar to lookup head loss values but this time you use RPM and GPM to determine Head.

PSI_In is not really needed if you have watts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.