Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Hayward EcoStar Installed

1. Back To Top    #1

New Hayward EcoStar Installed

I just had a new Hayward SP3400 VSP EcoStar installed yesterday and so far I'm really pleased with it. It's very quiet compared to the Pentair 1.5hp SuperFlo it replaced. The installer noted that even though we had the pool builders replace all the plumbing when we replastered the pool and put in a new deck last Sept. they used 1 1/2" instead of 2" piping. As a result, the best install of the pump necessitated replacing the existing Jandy Valve with a 2" unit and plumbing in a few pieces of 2" PVC going to and from the pump above ground. His opinion was that the PB should have used 2" throughout allowing better flow and less work for the pump. Unfortunately, I didn't know about TFP back then or I would have run the whole rebuild past you guys.

Here's the old pump:

And here's the new one"

Be that as it may, the new pump is great. I got a good deal on it through Leslie's with free installation and a $200 rebate from So. Cal. Edison. I'll update this thread when I get next month's electric bill and see how much the difference is.

I'm still reading through the manual to learn how to program it for the most efficient use. Can anyone give me some recommendations for speeds and runtimes? Should I be looking at just one turnover per day, or more than that? I'd like to run the cleaner for maybe 2 hrs. a day which will necessitate a higher pump speed. Should I run it at top speed for cleaning or something lower?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Gary
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Hayward EcoStar Installed

I'm interested in this as well. Its great to see more manufacturers making variable speed pumps. I'm excited to see how well it works out for you.
    19,600 gal, Vinyl, Grecian L, StaRite Dura-Glas 1 HP pump, 3/4hp booster, Pentair Clean and Clear 420 Cartridge filter
    The Pool Cleaner 4x, PoolSkim

3. Back To Top    #3

The ideal speed and run time vary quite a bit from pool to pool. A good starting point is to run the pump around 1000 RPM and aim for one turnover per day. You want a low speed to save electricity, but not so low that the skimmer stops skimming effectively. Depending on your pool, you might be able to go below 1,000 RPM or need something higher. You can also adjust the run time up and down somewhat to see how short you can make it and still have everything look great.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

What's the best way to figure out how long it takes to do one turnover? Are there stats somewhere on the gpm rates of various pumps at different rpm's? How much is it affected by the distance of the pump from the pool? Mine's about 45 feet away.
    26,200 gal. 35' x 16' Plaster IGP (50 yrs. old), Hayward 48 sq. ft. DE filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWCG, The Pool Cleaner 4X suction, Pool Skim and Pool Devil skimmers. Re-plastered Sept. 2010.

5. Back To Top    #5

Removed
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, thanks a lot Mark! Now, if you could just tell me how to use it as I'm a complete Excel Dummy. Do I change some of the numbers to match what I've got? If so, what fields do I change? Does it automatically recalculate?

Thanks for the help

Gary

7. Back To Top    #7

Sorry, I guess I left out the details. In general, the spreadsheet makes use of the relationship betweem GPM, RPM, Watts and Head loss. For a specific RPM setting, you can determine the power usage of the pump in the diagnostic window. Once you have the RPM and Watts values, you can plug them in on the "Watts_In" tab and get the estimated GPM on line 6. "Actual GPM" is just a reference and is not used in the calculation. Lines 11-19 show how well the model fits the actual CEC data. The "Actual GPM" in this case is CEC reported value.

The Watts Table is something you can print out to have sort of a quick reference. It is used in a similar maner to the calculation. Go along the RPM row until you hit a wattage that is close to the pump's reported value and loolup the GPM value. The Head Table is similar to lookup head loss values but this time you use RPM and GPM to determine Head.

PSI_In is not really needed if you have watts.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks again. I'll try it out when I get home from work.

Gary

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a exposed pad and looking at the ecostar, your pump on a exposed pad or enclosed?

Mike
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

10. Back To Top    #10

Exposed, just as you see it.