Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heater Clanking sound

1. Back To Top    #1

Heater Clanking sound

Folks,
    I have a Raypak 407A, its under warranty so I'll be putting a call in but I like to try and understand what is happening. The problem is about 5 seconds after firing up the burners there is a vibration at the inlet / outlet side of the heater. It's pretty loud, heater doesn't shake but it's not far off. It sounds like someone shaking a tin of ball bearings. This noise goes on for about 3 seconds then stops, after that all is fine. The heater runs and warms the water.
    Any thoughts? It is a consistent problem, will happen every time you start the heater.

Thanks
    Plaster In Ground, with Waterfall Spa. Raypak Heater, Nautilus DE Filter DNS48. Built about 2000.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Heater Clanking sound

It sounds like a unitherm governor to me.

Make sure that you clean/backwash the filters, and baskets before having the warranty reps out. If its a dirty filter, you will be on the hook for the trip.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I have cleaned the filter but that hasn't made any difference. Thanks for the tip.
    Plaster In Ground, with Waterfall Spa. Raypak Heater, Nautilus DE Filter DNS48. Built about 2000.

4. Back To Top    #4

Any time that you have a reason to think that the heater might not be operating properly, you should keep it turned off until it can be checked out by a qualified technician. The heater could be damaged or cause damage to something else.

5. Back To Top    #5

I gotta agree with racket that there is an issue with the 'thermal regulator' - when they go, it sounds like 'clunking' in the manifold.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks folks.
    The heater is kept off until I can get it fixed. Thanks for the help.

Regards

7. Back To Top    #7

Did it end up being the unitherm governor? I am having a similar problem.
    East TN
    13,000 gal San Juan Fiberglass Pool;SWG; GoldLine Pro Logic Controls
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

May sound like a dumb answer, but mine did the same thing last year upon opening and I had the lines reversed. Possibly not what you are seeing, but just thought I would throw my experience out there. Good luck
    21'X52" AGP
    Brominator
    1 1/2 hp pump
    Cart Filter.
    More to come soon as I am a Newbie!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks!! We ordered a unitherm governor and will replace it this weekend. The old one has scale buildup on it. I hope that fixes the problem. The warranty was only for 1 year, and the closest certified company for our heater is 125 miles away. I don't think the pipes need to be switched because it worked all last year. I hope this works!!
    East TN
    Hayward Sand Filter; Hayward Max-Flo XL Pump;Polaris 380; Hayward ColorLogic LED
    Raypak Gas Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Folks,
    The problem disappeared. Am expecting it to return any time from this point forward as the warranty is expired as of today. Thanks for your help.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Discobrian24
    May sound like a dumb answer, but mine did the same thing last year upon opening and I had the lines reversed. Possibly not what you are seeing, but just thought I would throw my experience out there. Good luck
    So, my lines were also reversed. The water was going in the out and out the in. it worked for over a year. Once you fixed your lines did you have to do anything else to get it working? Could the lines being reversed cause other problems? We replaced the unitherm governor and had the pool installer fix the reversed lines, but it is still making a knocking sound.

Thanks!
    East TN
    Raypak Gas Heater