Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Spa not heating up after opening pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Spa not heating up after opening pool

I had a pool company winterize my pool (pulling plugs, etc.) I put all the plugs back in, got my water chemistry right, then fired up the hot tub. The valve actuators automatically turned (though I don't know exactly which position they are supposed to be in). The heater kicked in... and the water at the heater was steaming hot. However, the water coming into the spa was luke warm at best... then tended to turn cold. The water never went up in temp, even after running the heater for over an hour. I was concerned about hurting the heater, so I did not continue operating it. I did repeat the procedure the next day with the same result.

As a side note, the pump for the heater and cleaner is the same... and the cleaner works fine. I have backwashed the DE filter several times. No change.

Any idea why the water in the spa won't heat up?

Gunite I/G Pool
    12,000 Gallons
    Jandy Filter - DEL60
    Main Pump - Jandy PHPU2.5
    Heater - Jandy LT400P-L
    Filter Valve - Jandy JVA2444 Valve Actuator
    Heater/Cleaner Valve - Jandy JVA2440 Valve Actuator
    Saltwater Chlorine Generator - Jandy AquaPure 700

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Spa not heating up after opening pool

Not knowing a lot about spas, but if the heater has a bypass then it may be partially open allowing water to partially bypass the heater instead of going through it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit