Two speed pump

That is the model and hp I bought in October. It was nice and quiet when I first installed it and then it became loud! Pentaire has a forum on their website where their techs answer questions M-F. After several posts between the tech and I he determined it was a warranty issue and sent a new motor for my pump! Now I just need the time to swap it out.

I did have a serious rust issue on the bottom of my original pump motor (also Pentair Dynamo) that eventually caused it to fail, and I did see some evidence of rust starting on my current pump motor. I plan to spray some clear finish on the new motor before I install it. I made changes to my equipment pad so water will not pool under the pump motor anymore.

I have been very happy with the service from Pentaire.

This is the perfect time to add any valves and unions if you need them!

In most cases you only need high speed when vacuuming or backwashing a sand or DE filter, so you run the pump on low all the time except when vacuuming or backwashing. Which is usually a couple hours a day vacuuming & maybe a few minutes per month backwashing.

Also, with a 2-speed pump you can run it 24/7 on low and still save money over a single speed pump running 8 or more hours a day.

zea3 said:
That is the model and hp I bought in October. It was nice and quiet when I first installed it and then it became loud! Pentaire has a forum on their website where their techs answer questions M-F. After several posts between the tech and I he determined it was a warranty issue and sent a new motor for my pump! Now I just need the time to swap it out.

I did have a serious rust issue on the bottom of my original pump motor (also Pentair Dynamo) that eventually caused it to fail, and I did see some evidence of rust starting on my current pump motor. I plan to spray some clear finish on the new motor before I install it. I made changes to my equipment pad so water will not pool under the pump motor anymore.

Your mechanical seal probably failed and began to sling water into the motor. I always tell pool owners to check for any small leaks between the motor and pump housing (along the motor shaft). If one develops replace the seal.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No idea why everyone sells them this way, but attaching a power cord was easy. You can go to a Lowe's or Home Depot and look for replacement power cords. I think you need at least a 15 amp cord. It will say on the pump how many amps it is and you will need a cord rated for that amperage. You will also need a box of female quick connects rated for the same amperage as the power cord. You will crimp these onto the power cord so pick up a good set of pliers if you don't have one.

Some people hard wire the pump, some have straight blade plugs (standard receptacle) & some have twist lock receptacles. So instead of having a lot of different part numbers they just sell the cord separately.

Bought an electric clothes dryer lately? They don't come with cords either! Crazy huh? :)

Hi Josh,
The rust on the original pump started on the mounting brackets. Those eventually rusted through and apparently kept on going through the bottom of the motor casing. It never did leak. The 2 speed I replaced it with began to run loud after the first cold snap. The only leak I saw there was from the vertical discharge pipe. I have a replacement motor and a new seal, so we'll see how that goes when I have time to get into it. If you have any suggestions on avoiding rust or swapping motors I'll be happy to listen!
JoshU said:
zea3 said:

Your mechanical seal probably failed and began to sling water into the motor. I always tell pool owners to check for any small leaks between the motor and pump housing (along the motor shaft). If one develops replace the seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.