Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Two speed pump

  1. Back To Top    #1
    No P in my ool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Logan IA
    Posts
    219

    Two speed pump

    Just purchased this to replace my one horse. I hope to save enough on the electric bill to pay for it in three years.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    JasonLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Silver Spring, MD
    Posts
    37,879

    Re: Two speed pump

    That looks good! Please tell us how the install goes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,333

    Re: Two speed pump

    I'd also love to hear how it goes. I plan on changing mine out and that would keep me from having to change any plumbing.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  4. Back To Top    #4
    No P in my ool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Logan IA
    Posts
    219

    Re: Two speed pump

    Will do.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,198

    Re: Two speed pump

    That is the model and hp I bought in October. It was nice and quiet when I first installed it and then it became loud! Pentaire has a forum on their website where their techs answer questions M-F. After several posts between the tech and I he determined it was a warranty issue and sent a new motor for my pump! Now I just need the time to swap it out.

    I did have a serious rust issue on the bottom of my original pump motor (also Pentair Dynamo) that eventually caused it to fail, and I did see some evidence of rust starting on my current pump motor. I plan to spray some clear finish on the new motor before I install it. I made changes to my equipment pad so water will not pool under the pump motor anymore.

    I have been very happy with the service from Pentaire.

    This is the perfect time to add any valves and unions if you need them!
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Two speed pump

    Could someone explain to me how you would use a 2 speed pump? I get the elecrical use savings, but when do you use the lower speed as opposed to the higher speed?

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,333

    Re: Two speed pump

    In most cases you only need high speed when vacuuming or backwashing a sand or DE filter, so you run the pump on low all the time except when vacuuming or backwashing. Which is usually a couple hours a day vacuuming & maybe a few minutes per month backwashing.

    Also, with a 2-speed pump you can run it 24/7 on low and still save money over a single speed pump running 8 or more hours a day.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  8. Back To Top    #8

    In the Industry

    JoshU's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    541

    Re: Two speed pump

    Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    That is the model and hp I bought in October. It was nice and quiet when I first installed it and then it became loud! Pentaire has a forum on their website where their techs answer questions M-F. After several posts between the tech and I he determined it was a warranty issue and sent a new motor for my pump! Now I just need the time to swap it out.

    I did have a serious rust issue on the bottom of my original pump motor (also Pentair Dynamo) that eventually caused it to fail, and I did see some evidence of rust starting on my current pump motor. I plan to spray some clear finish on the new motor before I install it. I made changes to my equipment pad so water will not pool under the pump motor anymore.

    I have been very happy with the service from Pentaire.

    This is the perfect time to add any valves and unions if you need them!
    Your mechanical seal probably failed and began to sling water into the motor. I always tell pool owners to check for any small leaks between the motor and pump housing (along the motor shaft). If one develops replace the seal.
    Josh Ulfers - josh@saltpoolguys.com - 888-725-8766
    SaltPoolGuys.com - AutoPilot Pool Pilot Systems, Parts & Cells - AquaCal Heat Pumps

  9. Back To Top    #9
    esim13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Posts
    320

    Re: Two speed pump

    If you don't mind, may I ask where you purchased it from? I have the same pool set up but with a 2hp and would love to change it to this pump.
    Thanks!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,198

    Re: Two speed pump

    Quote Originally Posted by esim13
    If you don't mind, may I ask where you purchased it from? I have the same pool set up but with a 2hp and would love to change it to this pump.
    Thanks!
    Mine came from poolcenter.com.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  11. Back To Top    #11
    esim13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Posts
    320

    Re: Two speed pump

    So what's the deal with 'no cord'?
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,198

    Re: Two speed pump

    No idea why everyone sells them this way, but attaching a power cord was easy. You can go to a Lowe's or Home Depot and look for replacement power cords. I think you need at least a 15 amp cord. It will say on the pump how many amps it is and you will need a cord rated for that amperage. You will also need a box of female quick connects rated for the same amperage as the power cord. You will crimp these onto the power cord so pick up a good set of pliers if you don't have one.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,333

    Re: Two speed pump

    Some people hard wire the pump, some have straight blade plugs (standard receptacle) & some have twist lock receptacles. So instead of having a lot of different part numbers they just sell the cord separately.

    Bought an electric clothes dryer lately? They don't come with cords either! Crazy huh?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  14. Back To Top    #14
    No P in my ool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Logan IA
    Posts
    219

    Re: Two speed pump

    Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Quote Originally Posted by esim13
    If you don't mind, may I ask where you purchased it from? I have the same pool set up but with a 2hp and would love to change it to this pump.
    Thanks!
    Mine came from poolcenter.com.
    Got mine from here also.....but it's on backorder.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

  15. Back To Top    #15
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,198

    Re: Two speed pump

    Hi Josh,
    The rust on the original pump started on the mounting brackets. Those eventually rusted through and apparently kept on going through the bottom of the motor casing. It never did leak. The 2 speed I replaced it with began to run loud after the first cold snap. The only leak I saw there was from the vertical discharge pipe. I have a replacement motor and a new seal, so we'll see how that goes when I have time to get into it. If you have any suggestions on avoiding rust or swapping motors I'll be happy to listen!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshU
    Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    That is the model and hp I bought in October. It was nice and quiet when I first installed it and then it became loud! Pentaire has a forum on their website where their techs answer questions M-F. After several posts between the tech and I he determined it was a warranty issue and sent a new motor for my pump! Now I just need the time to swap it out.

    I did have a serious rust issue on the bottom of my original pump motor (also Pentair Dynamo) that eventually caused it to fail, and I did see some evidence of rust starting on my current pump motor. I plan to spray some clear finish on the new motor before I install it. I made changes to my equipment pad so water will not pool under the pump motor anymore.

    I have been very happy with the service from Pentaire.

    This is the perfect time to add any valves and unions if you need them!
    Your mechanical seal probably failed and began to sling water into the motor. I always tell pool owners to check for any small leaks between the motor and pump housing (along the motor shaft). If one develops replace the seal.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •