Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer or Bottom drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer or Bottom drain

Hi guys,
    I have a question about whats best to pull the most water into the filter. Just opening pool for the season, Its a bit green, I am keeping at shock level.
    but i was wondering if i should pull all the water from the main drain or the skimmer or half and half. I have the valves all the way open right now.
    thanks
    jim
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer or Bottom drain

Actually it's going to depend on what works for you. What you're after is good circulation and good skimmer action. You need to play with the valves until you get good skimmer action.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I posted a reply and it did not show, so I will try again!

For normal filtration I suggest keeping both valves open, if water level drops below the half way mark of the skimmer, you may need to run pool from just the skimmer. If you are vacuuming the pool, its a good idea to shut off the bottom drain to utilize the full strength of the filter while cleaning.

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have a pool cleaner?

Oops, just looked at your signature. If your running your cleaner, you can pretty much shut off your main drain and pull from the skimmer.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by hayfarmer
    Hi guys,
    I have a question about whats best to pull the most water into the filter. Just opening pool for the season, Its a bit green, I am keeping at shock level.
    but i was wondering if i should pull all the water from the main drain or the skimmer or half and half. I have the valves all the way open right now.
    thanks
    jim
    Hi Jim~~

How is the clarity of your "a bit green" water? If the water is fairly clear and you can see the main drain is free of debris, and your pool is out in the open, with few leaves/pollen dropping in, then I would favor the main drain to get that water moving. It's the chlorine that will get the green out.

If you've got things landing on the water though, keep that skimmer working.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

6. Back To Top    #6

cool guys/gals.. sounds good to me...
    live in eastern washington state
    18x36, Vinyl inground 24k
    Hayward 1 hp filter pump
    1 skimmer/2 returns
    24" sand filter, polaris 280 with booster pump.