Skimmer or Bottom drain

hayfarmer

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
eastern washington state
Hi guys,
I have a question about whats best to pull the most water into the filter. Just opening pool for the season, Its a bit green, I am keeping at shock level.
but i was wondering if i should pull all the water from the main drain or the skimmer or half and half. I have the valves all the way open right now.
thanks
jim

I posted a reply and it did not show, so I will try again!

For normal filtration I suggest keeping both valves open, if water level drops below the half way mark of the skimmer, you may need to run pool from just the skimmer. If you are vacuuming the pool, its a good idea to shut off the bottom drain to utilize the full strength of the filter while cleaning.

Do you have a pool cleaner?

Oops, just looked at your signature. If your running your cleaner, you can pretty much shut off your main drain and pull from the skimmer.

hayfarmer said:
Hi guys,
I have a question about whats best to pull the most water into the filter. Just opening pool for the season, Its a bit green, I am keeping at shock level.
but i was wondering if i should pull all the water from the main drain or the skimmer or half and half. I have the valves all the way open right now.
thanks
jim

Hi Jim~~

How is the clarity of your "a bit green" water? If the water is fairly clear and you can see the main drain is free of debris, and your pool is out in the open, with few leaves/pollen dropping in, then I would favor the main drain to get that water moving. It's the chlorine that will get the green out.

If you've got things landing on the water though, keep that skimmer working. :)

Lana

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.