Feeling pressured about fiberglass pool selection. Need help

We would like a basic pool. One company has gotten good recommendations from a friend who has one of their liner pools. We met with him Friday and he proposed the following:

Trilogy Solstice $22,900 or Orion $28,900 basic package
Upgrades:
Max-E-Pro 1.5 HP 2 speed $400
Sta-Rite System 3 300sf media $500
Intellichlor IC20 $1250
PBVC 2" $200

This does not include electrician costs.

The upgrades will get a 40% discount. They just had a home show and he stated that until this Wednesday, he can get an additional discount on the pool to save $3,000 on the Solstice and $2,000 for the Orion.

After reading posts here he had initially proposed the IC15 but I would upsize to the IC20. I'm also wondering if an Intelliflo pump wouldn't be a good idea. It looks like it would pay for itself in about 4 years.

I had a large chlorine based pool previously but I am new to salt based. The convenience is appealing.

What are your thoughts on these recommendations? Is this a good package? Is the pricing reasonable?

Re: Feeling pressured about fiberglass pool selection. Need

Welcome to TFP!

Those upgrades generally look nice, but over-priced, while the basic package price price is lower than I would expect.

The IntelliFlo payback depends on what your electric rates are. Where I am on the east coast the electric rates are around $0.12/kwh and the extra up front costs will never pay back. But in most of California, and other areas with high electric rates, it will pay back quickly.

Don't ya just hate the:

"Super Sale Price only good thru Sunday"

sales BS. If you can sell me something for $100 this weekend, you should be able to sell me the same thing next week for the same price. It's just as bad as the:

"Inventory Reduction Sale, Everything up to 50% Off"

that seems to happen every other week (especially furniture places).

I don't know anything about the Fiberglass pools, but there was NO 'buy it now' sales pressure from my PB.

We had a similar "buy before this date" shopping experience on our pool. I can't speak for your situation, but for us it really was a good deal. Basically we bought a cancelled order fiberglass pool. Someone placed an order, the pool was made, for them, and they were unable to complete the deal. Our installer told us about it being available when we were shopping and it turns out he was right. The same pool is now selling for significantly more than we paid. We got a much nicer pool than we had originally budgeted for and ended up spending less for it.

Now about upgrades: We installed a Pentair VS pump and love that we can program different speeds. We haven't had it long enough to really gauge the electric use, but we have found the various speeds useful for daily circulation at lower speeds, faster speeds for days when leaves are falling (better skimming), and also faster speeds for running our water features. As for initial costs, we shopped Amazon and the web for many of our pool equipment upgrades when we installed our pool. We just told our installer straight up that we planned to shop those items and we laid it all out with the prices we found before we signed the deal with him. He was really cool about it all, and we've been really happy with him and the job he did. If you take that route as we did, just verify that you are getting your pump from an authorized dealer. I really don't know why it matters, but Pentair told us that the warranty only applies if you are buying from an authorized dealer (which we did online). Also I'd recommend calling the tech support line for the companies you're planning to buy from to see want you can expect when you really need them and to get answers about the products you are considering straight from the manufacturer. Anyway, we upgraded from the standard Pentair pump to the Intelliflow and Easytouch control for significantly less than our pool installer's upgrade price. We found the VS pump for around $800 and the EZ touch control box for about $600. Since the electrician will be the one connceting it, it really shouldn't matter to your pool installer. In fact, given the current state of the economy, it seemed that we had the upper hand every step of the way on our deal. Hope this helps.

I looked into the EZTouch controller and found combo packages with the IntelliChlor. With pricing of $966 for IC20 and $910 with IC40 is there any reason not to massively oversize with the IC40 vs the IC20? I can get the pump for $1,000.

Generally bigger is better wrt a swcg, to a point. You don't say how many gallons your proposed pool is so its hard to say. If they are the same price and you are doing an easytouch, I'd say do the ic40.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.