pool still losing water

Oct 7, 2010
Hi people,

A while ago I was here asking for help and got some. After months of this and that, got the pool clean and epoxied the conduit in the pool light. When pump runs, pool loses bout 2" in 5 hours. I had a pool expert come out, and he checked a bunch of stuff, he even cut the drain pvc line to confirm we are not losing it from there. I figured maybe I installed the spider gasket last summer wrong, but guiess its OK.

So, if Im not losing it to that drain/backwash tube,, and there are NO leaks in the lines anywhere else, where is the leak?

Im gonna try to post some pictures........

Thanks, BK. I dont think he pressure tested the lines, at least, using special equipment/compressors/the like, unless he did it otherwise and I am not aware of what he did. I was with him all the time, mostly, though.

He kept saying "if I cant see the water (trouble), I cant fix it", or somthing like that. Now, picking up on your suggestion that it has to be on the pressure side of the tubing(s), shouldnt that mean we have to have water pooling/puddling/saturating the soil near the pump area somewhere? Thats it- no mushy ground anywhere.....dang.

It has to be a pressure side if you are losing that much water, have a fountain? Fountains are notorious for leaking. Depending on where you are in the country, the ground is fairly dry this time of year so a big leak underground will be soaked up by the earth and you won't see any holes or depressions around the pool. The only real way to accurately find a underground leak like that is with acoustic equipment which typically only a dedicated leak detection company has. They are fairly expensive but worth it in terms of headaches with a leak that big and the amount of chemicals your are losing.

Yes. Just because you can't see the leaking water doesn't mean its not there. I'd find someone to do a pressure test to see if it's truely the underground pipe that the issue. If that's confirmed, then sonic leak detection is a good route to go. Finding a pool leak is kind of like detective work. You start basic and rule things out until you find the culprit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WHOA there. Dont get ahead of yourself :)

If it is underground, it may not be in the main drain. Do you have a main drain in the bottom? Get the pressure test done and go from there.

FYI, if a leak is in the main drain pipe, its usually just shut off and the skimmer is used as the main suction line.

renovxpt said:
A good leak detection company would be able to pinpoint that large of a leak easily and will most likely save you a lot of time and money.

They're also not that expensive. I had Florida Leak Locators out at my pool last year. For $250, they found 6 small leaks, fixed them all with putty then came back out a month later as a courtesy to check to see if I was still leaking (which I wasn't).

Denis

Whew! Thanks, guys. (sorry for delay). Yeah, I heard $250 is what it takes. Yes, it iS an in ground pool (is there anyother kind?? Thats why its so hard to locate it.

BUT, its god to hear if its the bottm drain/line, as an alternative, one can hook up the tubing to suction from the skimmer. Right?

Now, coincidentally, Im near Clearwater/St Pete. maybe I'll call those people, since you recommended them, .........

hate to "try" someone out of the phone book.

bk406 said:
WHOA there. Dont get ahead of yourself :)

If it is underground, it may not be in the main drain. Do you have a main drain in the bottom? Get the pressure test done and go from there.

FYI, if a leak is in the main drain pipe, its usually just shut off and the skimmer is used as the main suction line.

(scratching scalp), BK, can you explain, as Im kinda green on this stuff- right now, the pool is sucking up mainly from a 2" pipe sticking out the side of the pool, near the skimmer. I dont think its suctioning from the base of the pool. Remember, the pool loses no water while stationary. So, if it was the base/drain, wouldnt that mean I have to loose water from there even while pump is OFF?

So, doesnt that mean the loss is from that side pipe (pool van is hooked up to that) whihc draws most of the suction pressure for the vac? I just cant picture the pool leaking from bottom when vac is where most of the draw is.......

Either way, Im looking into talking with someone to pressure test it.

noquacks said:
Now, coincidentally, Im near Clearwater/St Pete. maybe I'll call those people, since you recommended them, .........

I couldn't be happier. They really went above and beyond. The guy I had come out, Jason, was very professional and quick. He even worked around my schedule and changed an appointment around to meet my small window of availability.

Denis

noquacks said:
BK, can you explain, as Im kinda green on this stuff- right now, the pool is sucking up mainly from a 2" pipe sticking out the side of the pool, near the skimmer. I dont think its suctioning from the base of the pool. Remember, the pool loses no water while stationary. So, if it was the base/drain, wouldnt that mean I have to loose water from there even while pump is OFF?

So, doesnt that mean the loss is from that side pipe (pool van is hooked up to that) whihc draws most of the suction pressure for the vac? I just cant picture the pool leaking from bottom when vac is where most of the draw is.......

Either way, Im looking into talking with someone to pressure test it.

I was mainly reacting to your worry you would gave to "smash up" the pool bottom and trying to get you to not get ahead of yourself :wink: Wait until you get a pressure test then go from there.

denisbaldwin said:
noquacks said:

I couldn't be happier. They really went above and beyond. The guy I had come out, Jason, was very professional and quick. He even worked around my schedule and changed an appointment around to meet my small window of availability.

Denis

Florida Leak Locators has a great rating on Angies List too....... I live in the same area as you guys :goodjob:

Guy came over and detceted leak under pool deck. I even heard it (with his "stethescope". It required smashing the pool deck stucco, then resurfacing. $300 to fix.....no big deal. Set appointment for Tuesday. BUT, now, pool has been running for 2 days and NO LEAK!!!!!!

What now? Geez (scratching head)..........

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.