Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: pool still losing water

  1. Back To Top    #1

    pool still losing water

    Hi people,

    A while ago I was here asking for help and got some. After months of this and that, got the pool clean and epoxied the conduit in the pool light. When pump runs, pool loses bout 2" in 5 hours. I had a pool expert come out, and he checked a bunch of stuff, he even cut the drain pvc line to confirm we are not losing it from there. I figured maybe I installed the spider gasket last summer wrong, but guiess its OK.

    So, if Im not losing it to that drain/backwash tube,, and there are NO leaks in the lines anywhere else, where is the leak?

    Im gonna try to post some pictures........
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: pool still losing water

    Usually a leak like that with the pump on is on the pressure side. Did he pressure test the lines?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: pool still losing water

    Thanks, BK. I dont think he pressure tested the lines, at least, using special equipment/compressors/the like, unless he did it otherwise and I am not aware of what he did. I was with him all the time, mostly, though.

    He kept saying "if I cant see the water (trouble), I cant fix it", or somthing like that. Now, picking up on your suggestion that it has to be on the pressure side of the tubing(s), shouldnt that mean we have to have water pooling/puddling/saturating the soil near the pump area somewhere? Thats it- no mushy ground anywhere.....dang.
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: pool still losing water

    I have 2 pictures, but I dont see the paper clippy thing on this site. Is one able to post pics here?
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Re: pool still losing water

    Tid bit: we have a solar roof heater for the pool, but those 2 big lines goint to the roof are bone dry. No water coming down the gutters either.
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    3

    Re: pool still losing water

    It has to be a pressure side if you are losing that much water, have a fountain? Fountains are notorious for leaking. Depending on where you are in the country, the ground is fairly dry this time of year so a big leak underground will be soaked up by the earth and you won't see any holes or depressions around the pool. The only real way to accurately find a underground leak like that is with acoustic equipment which typically only a dedicated leak detection company has. They are fairly expensive but worth it in terms of headaches with a leak that big and the amount of chemicals your are losing.
    My Clean Pool
    http://www.mycleanpoolservice.com
    5 years in the industry, seen lots of pools and problems, trying to help out.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: pool still losing water

    Yes. Just because you can't see the leaking water doesn't mean its not there. I'd find someone to do a pressure test to see if it's truely the underground pipe that the issue. If that's confirmed, then sonic leak detection is a good route to go. Finding a pool leak is kind of like detective work. You start basic and rule things out until you find the culprit.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: pool still losing water

    A good leak detection company would be able to pinpoint that large of a leak easily and will most likely save you a lot of time and money.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: pool still losing water

    Thanks, guys. Looks unanimous....Im gonna get a leak company. Ill ask them to do a pressure test first. I will advise yous when it happens!
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: pool still losing water

    BUT, if it is an underground leak, does that mean I have to drain the whole pool and then dig up the bottom? As in smash the base?
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: pool still losing water

    WHOA there. Dont get ahead of yourself

    If it is underground, it may not be in the main drain. Do you have a main drain in the bottom? Get the pressure test done and go from there.

    FYI, if a leak is in the main drain pipe, its usually just shut off and the skimmer is used as the main suction line.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: pool still losing water

    Quote Originally Posted by renovxpt
    A good leak detection company would be able to pinpoint that large of a leak easily and will most likely save you a lot of time and money.
    They're also not that expensive. I had Florida Leak Locators out at my pool last year. For $250, they found 6 small leaks, fixed them all with putty then came back out a month later as a courtesy to check to see if I was still leaking (which I wasn't).

    Denis
    Clearwater, Florida

    12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Re: pool still losing water

    Whew! Thanks, guys. (sorry for delay). Yeah, I heard $250 is what it takes. Yes, it iS an in ground pool (is there anyother kind?? Thats why its so hard to locate it.

    BUT, its god to hear if its the bottm drain/line, as an alternative, one can hook up the tubing to suction from the skimmer. Right?

    Now, coincidentally, Im near Clearwater/St Pete. maybe I'll call those people, since you recommended them, .........

    hate to "try" someone out of the phone book.
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Re: pool still losing water

    Quote Originally Posted by bk406
    WHOA there. Dont get ahead of yourself

    If it is underground, it may not be in the main drain. Do you have a main drain in the bottom? Get the pressure test done and go from there.

    FYI, if a leak is in the main drain pipe, its usually just shut off and the skimmer is used as the main suction line.
    (scratching scalp), BK, can you explain, as Im kinda green on this stuff- right now, the pool is sucking up mainly from a 2" pipe sticking out the side of the pool, near the skimmer. I dont think its suctioning from the base of the pool. Remember, the pool loses no water while stationary. So, if it was the base/drain, wouldnt that mean I have to loose water from there even while pump is OFF?

    So, doesnt that mean the loss is from that side pipe (pool van is hooked up to that) whihc draws most of the suction pressure for the vac? I just cant picture the pool leaking from bottom when vac is where most of the draw is.......

    Either way, Im looking into talking with someone to pressure test it.
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: pool still losing water

    Quote Originally Posted by noquacks
    Now, coincidentally, Im near Clearwater/St Pete. maybe I'll call those people, since you recommended them, .........

    hate to "try" someone out of the phone book.
    I couldn't be happier. They really went above and beyond. The guy I had come out, Jason, was very professional and quick. He even worked around my schedule and changed an appointment around to meet my small window of availability.

    Denis
    Clearwater, Florida

    12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,690

    Re: pool still losing water

    Quote Originally Posted by noquacks

    BK, can you explain, as Im kinda green on this stuff- right now, the pool is sucking up mainly from a 2" pipe sticking out the side of the pool, near the skimmer. I dont think its suctioning from the base of the pool. Remember, the pool loses no water while stationary. So, if it was the base/drain, wouldnt that mean I have to loose water from there even while pump is OFF?

    So, doesnt that mean the loss is from that side pipe (pool van is hooked up to that) whihc draws most of the suction pressure for the vac? I just cant picture the pool leaking from bottom when vac is where most of the draw is.......

    Either way, Im looking into talking with someone to pressure test it.
    I was mainly reacting to your worry you would gave to "smash up" the pool bottom and trying to get you to not get ahead of yourself Wait until you get a pressure test then go from there.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Re: pool still losing water

    OK, I get you, BK. No smashing for now.......LOL

    Also, thanks, TFP for the advice on that company. Will probably give them a call Monday.....
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  18. Back To Top    #18
    pool1999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    727-Florida
    Posts
    84

    Re: pool still losing water

    Quote Originally Posted by denisbaldwin
    Quote Originally Posted by noquacks
    Now, coincidentally, Im near Clearwater/St Pete. maybe I'll call those people, since you recommended them, .........

    hate to "try" someone out of the phone book.
    I couldn't be happier. They really went above and beyond. The guy I had come out, Jason, was very professional and quick. He even worked around my schedule and changed an appointment around to meet my small window of availability.

    Denis

    Florida Leak Locators has a great rating on Angies List too....... I live in the same area as you guys
    Anton and Michele

    11.5K Gallon (14X30), In Ground Fiberglass Pool, Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator, Hayward Super II 1 hp Pump, Hayward Star Clear Plus 90sqf Cartridge Filter, TF100 Test Kit, BBB
    Well ok, the construction is still ongoing but i just want to dump SOME bleach in that dang pool

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Re: pool still losing water

    Made an appointment with a local guy. Hes coming friday to pressure test/maybe repair. I'll let yous know what happens......
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Re: pool still losing water

    Guy came over and detceted leak under pool deck. I even heard it (with his "stethescope". It required smashing the pool deck stucco, then resurfacing. $300 to fix.....no big deal. Set appointment for Tuesday. BUT, now, pool has been running for 2 days and NO LEAK!!!!!!

    What now? Geez (scratching head)..........
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •