Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I have sand in my backwash every time

1. Back To Top    #1

I have sand in my backwash every time

Hi......Just joined TFP. Not sure if I should start a new post or not since my issue is very similar to this. I have sand in my backwash every time. A couple of years ago I emptied the sand and checked the laterals and everything looked okay but we continue to lose sand. Now I'm getting ready to check the sand level again. Any ideas on what would cause us to lose sand in the backwash if the laterals are okay?

Tagelus TA 60 Sand Filter
    16' x 32' in ground pool with liner, Tagelus TA 60 Sand Filter, 1 hp pump and Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to tell if you need more sand?

It is nearly always better to start your own topic, rather than reuse someone else's existing topic.

You can lose sand while backwashing if the pump is significantly larger than the filter is designed to work with.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: I have sand in my backwash every time

Have u ever checked the spider gasket in the multiport? Do you do a rinse after you backwash?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!

Just to check, are you getting sand back into the pool after backwashing or is it coming out of the backwash hose while you backwash?
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by waste
    Welcome to TFP!!

Just to check, are you getting sand back into the pool after backwashing or is it coming out of the backwash hose while you backwash?
    Typically when I see this, it's a cracked lateral, or there is an issue with the air bleeder screen.
    20X40 30,000 gallon gunite pool