I have sand in my backwash every time

Mar 19, 2011
Hi......Just joined TFP. Not sure if I should start a new post or not since my issue is very similar to this. I have sand in my backwash every time. A couple of years ago I emptied the sand and checked the laterals and everything looked okay but we continue to lose sand. Now I'm getting ready to check the sand level again. Any ideas on what would cause us to lose sand in the backwash if the laterals are okay?

Tagelus TA 60 Sand Filter

Re: How to tell if you need more sand?

It is nearly always better to start your own topic, rather than reuse someone else's existing topic.

You can lose sand while backwashing if the pump is significantly larger than the filter is designed to work with.

waste said:
Welcome to TFP!!

Just to check, are you getting sand back into the pool after backwashing or is it coming out of the backwash hose while you backwash?

Typically when I see this, it's a cracked lateral, or there is an issue with the air bleeder screen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.