White flakes/granules in pool and filter

Sep 15, 2007
Clovis, CA
I noticed some white granules that look like salt on the steps of my pool near where a water inlet jet is. When you attempt to scoop them out with a net they almost turn to liquid and dissolve away.

I have a Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator from Goldline that is now about 4.5 years old and I've had to turn up the output to around 100% to keep up with high summer temperatures and CL. I have even added a few chlorine tables on occasion when the temp is at 110 or so, but I've never seen this problem over the past 4.5 years.

After seeing the problem I decided since it appeared to come from the jet that I would check my pool filter to see if there was any build up there. Wow was I surprised. My filter (Cartridge) was full of the stuff!! :shock: The bottom of the filter must have had 6" solid of this white salt-like stuff. I drained the filter and was able to just scoop out handfulls of it.

My pool looks very clean and clear, except I have noticed that sometimes you can see small particles/flakes in the water, especially at night with the light on.

I haven't taken my water to anyone for testing just yet, but my chlorine and ph are fine. I've never added anything other than acid to my pool or ph and shocked once a month or so.

I would love any input you can give me.

OK, here is the hint if i understood your set up correcly.
Do you happen to have self cleaning chlorinator? 8)
As electrolytic cell is an last part of filtration system the calcium flakes that it produces when selfcleaning will not get trapped by filtration system. This is normal.
As water chemistry changes the amount of calcium build up on the cell plates will vary dramatically, and when cell reverses all this calcium buildup will get thrown off the plates in form of flakes. If there is alot of calcium got accumulated, larger the flakes and easier they are to see.
You can clean the cell manually just to make sure it is not choked and do not worry about the flakes in the pool - they will get picked up by cleaner and will settle in filter.

Valera Orlingis said:
OK, here is the hint if i understood your set up correcly.
Do you happen to have self cleaning chlorinator? 8)
As electrolytic cell is an last part of filtration system the calcium flakes that it produces when selfcleaning will not get trapped by filtration system. This is normal.
As water chemistry changes the amount of calcium build up on the cell plates will vary dramatically, and when cell reverses all this calcium buildup will get thrown off the plates in form of flakes. If there is alot of calcium got accumulated, larger the flakes and easier they are to see.
You can clean the cell manually just to make sure it is not choked and do not worry about the flakes in the pool - they will get picked up by cleaner and will settle in filter.

The flakes that come off of my cell plates don't melt away when you touch them. Mine are little crispy and can be picked up. I've also had the kind that melt away when you try to pick them up. Shocking my pool got rid of them, so I think they may have been water mold.

It's Calcium flakes as Valera said. I have an Aqua Rite and it does the same thing. Try to keep your PH down around 7.2. This seems to reduce the amount of flakes that I get. When it gets up around 7.6-7.8 I get TONS of flakes. Hope this helps out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.