Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting my AGP to a Salt water system

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting my AGP to a Salt water system

Hello....Some info leading up to my question: We did not cover our pool this winter because it does no good with the high winds of west texas that only tear the cover....therefore we will be draining and cleaning our pool before filling it back up. I am wanting to convert to an Intex Salt water generator.

My question is, (and I have read all of the pool school topics).....Will I need to "shock" the "new" pool water initially even after the SWG is set up? Or add other chemicals such as algaecide, clarifier, etc.???

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter!!
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Converting my AGP to a Salt water system

Once you startup the pool, you'll need to add bleach to bring the FC up to your target for your CYA level. Once you've done that, then you can let the SWG take over. Take a look at the SWG water balance article in Pool School, and you shouldn't have any problems. If you are planning on an Intex SWG, make sure you get the older model WITHOUT the copper ionizer, or if you can't find one, you can disconnect/remove the copper ionizer.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

3. Back To Top    #3

As long as you start adding chlorine by the first evening the pool is full, you won't have any need for shocking, clarifier, or algaecide. You will need to add chlorine manually for the first few days, until the salt and CYA levels are appropriate for the SWG and it can take over completely. And, as always, you will need to check/balance the PH and TA levels as needed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both for your advice.

guamguy: What is the importance of one "without" the copper ionizer??
    New 22' round, 52" deep Coleman (Bestway) AG/10,500 gal/16" Intex sand filter with over the side skimmer/Levelland TX (Lubbock area)

5. Back To Top    #5

Too much copper will build up over time and cause staining and green tint to hair. Once there is too much copper in the pool you either have to drain it or use sequesterant on a regular basis. It is much easier to avoid putting copper in the pool in the first place.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you zea3..

BTW....I LOVE this website....it is so informative!!!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Two more questions....

If I can't find a Intex SWG w/o the copper ionizer which it doesn't look like I can....will there be someone on here that can instruct us on removing the one from the system....and won't this void the waranty???

8. Back To Top    #8

It's easy to disable, you just unplug it. You can remove it but I've never done that. When I go to my SIL's tomorrow I'll inspect it closely and figure out the best way to do it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you Mod Squad!!

10. Back To Top    #10

If you scour ebay, you may be able to find a NIB "old" 56601E, which is the 2009 model w/o the copper ionization...just double check w/ the seller
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks again Mod Squad!!!

12. Back To Top    #12

Okay.....found a New 2009 model of Intex SWG "without" the copper ionionizer through Amazon.com.....does anyone think this would be a safe buy?? Please let me know what you think, and if it is even worth getting one without or just removing it from a newer model??

13. Back To Top    #13

That's the one you want. I would order it, the older model Intex also produces twice as much chlorine as the new one.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is a pic of the SWG unit I have found on Amazon.com.....

Can someone tell me what that piece off to the side is and how it will be used?

Still debating on ordering this unit....the seller/company has a 98% selling rating for the past twelve months....

Would anyone think this is a safe buy??

Thanks!!![attachment=0:3rtjhr6w]SWG 2011.jpg[/attachment:3rtjhr6w]
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Back To Top    #15

That piece off to the side is the flow switch. It gets screwed on to the inlet side of the cell, which is the side without the hose connected in the picture you posted. The SWG in the pic is the one you want, without the copper ionizer and with the 24 gram/hour output. The newer models do have a couple of benefits, though. One is that they will not loose the programming if you have a power outage, but a small UPS can solve that problem. The second is that the electrolytic cell is made of clear plastic, so you can see if there is scale buildup on the plates, instead of taking it apart to check every now and then.

p.s. I voided the warranty on mine 5 minutes after I took it out of the box by cutting the copper plates off the ionizer

16. Back To Top    #16

That pic, appears to be a pic of the real early model that did have it's bugs. Try AAAbestbuy...their listing seems to differentiate between the 2009 and newer model by charging $15 extra for the copper ionization...in this listing

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-INTEX-SALTWATER ... 5196799f91
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator