Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool with concrete issue

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool with concrete issue

I just had a inground pool built late last year and at the time they poured the concrete it got very cold. I am not real happy with the way the concrete looks and in some places it looks a bit like lines in a puzzle. My guess is that I'll have some spalling.

The concrete goes to the edge of my inground steel pool with vinyl liner and alluminum comping.

Has anyone refurbished in a situation like this? My thinking is that I can put a product on top of the concrete but the problem will be the way it will sit against or on top of the coping (pool edge).

Any ideas and pictures please share.

John
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool with concrete issue

Did the PB do the pour or is this an outside after the fact vender?

Did they warranty their work?

If you have any recourse with the company that did the work, I would start there before looking at repair options.
    Pool #1 IG 24k Diamond Brite plaster with spill-over spa. Jandy Aqua Link RS One Touch with built into pool floor cleaner. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket feeding Hayward top mount Zeosand filter. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket for Spa Jets. Heat Siphon pool heat pump. Dolphin Robotic pool cleaner.

Pool #2 IG 35K 20X40 Vinyl. Hayward top mount Zeosand filter with Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. Chemical Free pool using Water Doctor Copper Ion Generator, PoolSkim, Polaris 9300 Sport robotic pool cleaner, Heat Siphon pool heat pump, solar blanket, Ameri-Dome 50X30 dome enclosure during Winter.

3. Back To Top    #3

It was done by a concrete contractor because it was nearly 1,000 sq-ft. I'm sure they will do what they can but I'm looking for ideas on how to correct the issue before giving them a call. I had been thinking of some form of tile or something but it seems like it would be nice to correct it without replacing the concrete.
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd like to see a photo of what you're talking about.

You have a few options but only one of them is going to "fix" your problem.
    First the one that will fix it!
    1) Replace the decking.
    Now for the rest of my ideas (in no particular order).
    2) Coat the deck with Cool Step, etc.
    3) Tile the deck. (this will leave the edge of the tile above the coping.)
    4) Live with it. (not what I'd consider a choice)
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Bama has it about right.

One question from me.
    Did they pour the coping in one pour (i.e. under the aluminum and about a foot back), let that set up, then pour the deck? Or was the whole thing done in one pour?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jongig
    It was done by a concrete contractor because it was nearly 1,000 sq-ft. I'm sure they will do what they can but I'm looking for ideas on how to correct the issue before giving them a call. I had been thinking of some form of tile or something but it seems like it would be nice to correct it without replacing the concrete.
    If you have a guarantee or warranty, then you mess with it or try this or that, when you're done and not satisfied, the Contractor is going to laugh and say, "Good luck with that, I am not responsible for what you did to it." Second the longer you wait to bring them in, the harder it is going to be to get them to take responsibility and fix it.

More importantly we are talking about cement here. Covering it up isn't going to fix a thing. It will look pretty or OK for awhile, but then things will start coming lose, moving, chipping, or flaking off. A bad pour, improper mix ratio, or any of a hundred things could be wrong with it meaning it will only get worse with age. At that point the Contractor will be over joyed because you let them off the hook and/or your warranty claim might not be enforceable anymore due to too much time passing or because you messed with it.

IOW, if its bad, have them come out now and fix it on their dime while you still can. That is my opinion and what I would do if it were me. But again, that's just me. When I pay for something, I expect it to be right. If its not, I am going to make them make it right especially if they should not have forced the job and waited for better weather.
    Pool #1 IG 24k Diamond Brite plaster with spill-over spa. Jandy Aqua Link RS One Touch with built into pool floor cleaner. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket feeding Hayward top mount Zeosand filter. Jacuzzi Magnum pump/basket for Spa Jets. Heat Siphon pool heat pump. Dolphin Robotic pool cleaner.

Pool #2 IG 35K 20X40 Vinyl. Hayward top mount Zeosand filter with Pentair 3 HP IntelliFlo VS+SVRS. Chemical Free pool using Water Doctor Copper Ion Generator, PoolSkim, Polaris 9300 Sport robotic pool cleaner, Heat Siphon pool heat pump, solar blanket, Ameri-Dome 50X30 dome enclosure during Winter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'll have a picture on here tomorrow morning.

The concrete was all poured at once and directly into the pool coping.

I aggree that they should fix or replace it and I will contact them soon but for now I'm just getting to understand the best way to proceed. I like these guys and I know they didn't mean for this to happen and if it can be fixed without a lot of cost I'd be helping both parties.

What is cool step?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jongig
    I'll have a picture on here tomorrow morning.

The concrete was all poured at once and directly into the pool coping.

I aggree that they should fix or replace it and I will contact them soon but for now I'm just getting to understand the best way to proceed. I like these guys and I know they didn't mean for this to happen and if it can be fixed without a lot of cost I'd be helping both parties.

What is cool step?
    Don't get me wrong, I am all for being nice. But if its this bad already, think about it in 5 then 10 years. If doing anything to it voids your warranty, I would just call them and let them make suggestions until you both can live with it.

Kool Deck is mainly a cement pool deck finish and coping finish (depending on coping type). It seals the cement and is cooler to walk on then plain cement. If one has cracks that need filled, they can be filled and smoothed over with a silicone based cement repair product, then the whole deck covered with Kool Deck to give a uniform appearance. Our beach pool was built with Kool Deck treated coping and surround up to the were the wood decking starts.

9. Back To Top    #9

Here is a picture of what I'm seeing on the top of the concrete.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Back To Top    #10

Back off and give us a little wider view. That looks like surface mottling. If it is it can be rubbed out. If it's more than that, Kool Deck (thanks iphone) can be applied over it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Here is a picture from about 4 feet. What look like puzzle pieces are about 1 inch accross on average.

12. Back To Top    #12

This is up close and you can see what I would call a score mark along the white line. This does not show up throughout but is prevalent in some areas.

13. Back To Top    #13

To me it looks like efforescence working its way out of the concrete mix. You see this (salty white film on pavers some times). Does it wash off. There are efforescence cleaners on the market.

I could be totaly off base but that's what it looks like to an untrained concrete eye.
    Good Luck with the out come
    16x32 inground vinyl 8' deep end
    1hp Northstar Pump, 20" Sand Filter
    6ft Double Lounge, 2 Aqua Lamps w/remote
    216sqft Sungrabber Panels (9- 2'x12') a little undersized

14. Back To Top    #14

As you mentioned I need to get in touch with the contractor. I thought instead I'd call the concrete company and to my surprise the owner actually came out and looked at it. He's not happy with the way it looks and he explained to me what is going on but he says the surface is good and will not spall. The surface will turn white when the weather gets better but will always have the lines show when the concrete gets wet. He didn't know about the products that I mentioned for the surface but he told me that I should wait before doing anything. He asked that I call him to remind him to come back and look at it after it's had more time to cure, maybe May. Makes me feel much better and at least I can continue to finish the project.