Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Booster pump problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Booster pump problems

Hello all, I'm back for another fun filled summer of questions and answers. I trust everyone had a great winter!

So my booster pump stopped filtering water one day. The pump will still come on and run but suctions no water. This pump powers the built-in jet cleaning system (paddock). My other pump "filter pump" is still working and pulls water in through the filter basket and circulates water through the sand filter (Triton) and back out through returns. I have stuck my hand around inside the area where the filter basket is but found nothing. Can anyone help with this before I call the pool repair person.
    Thanks in advance!
    35,000 gal. Plaster, in-ground, Hayward swimclear C4025 cartridge filter,
    5 port polaris cleaning system, Hayward gas heater, spa.
    PhoeniX, AZ

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Booster pump problems

Can you post a picture of the layout?
    Does your main pump need to be running to supply your booster pump?

Be sure to check that all valves in and out of it are open and that the strainer basket lid and drain plug are not leaking air.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I will post pic later today, As for other ?'s

Main pump and booster pump run separately, they are even on separate circuit breakers. They even have their own valve lines running to each pump.

I have checked valves, and open and re-closed lid making sure of tight fit. Although no valves are on this pump it gets water from pool and goes straight to cleaning system. I even opened and drained out residual water using drain plug and screwed back in tight.
    35,000 gal. Plaster, in-ground, Hayward swimclear C4025 cartridge filter,
    5 port polaris cleaning system, Hayward gas heater, spa.
    PhoeniX, AZ

4. Back To Top    #4

You might take an inspection mirror and look into the front of the impeller to see if there's anything stuck in there. Other than that, it's a tear down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit