Nice Plans for Solar Rack

briansturgeon said:
I was searching around for some plans on a solar rack and came across what I thought was a good source I'd pass along.

Checkout http://www.ecosystemssolar.com/strut-channel_rack.htm

That page also has a link to a wood based rack although metal would be nice to last longer.

The only problem to these plans is that I have found if you don't have something solid for the panels to sit on, any air that circulates on the underside is cooled by the shade provided and thus has a cooling effect on the solar panels themselves. I found this out after not seeing the results I wanted when I build a similar rack out of PVC pipe. The panels did not sit on something solid and thus it only added about 5 degrees heating in a good week. However after attaching 1/8th inch plywood to the PVC angled rack, I picked up 12 to 15 degrees almost immediately...Plus it has a good angle to the sun. I would go with something solid. It may be harder...but worth it in the end.

wiscousonian said:
interesting, Didnt think about a back piece! Like Cubby, I have planned out a PVC rack for my flat roof, but I didn't think about a back piece! Cubby, do you have some images to share of your setup?

No because I am rebuilding something more solid so last fall I took it all apart. Basically what I am planning is a framed (like a wall) 4ft by 20ft rack made of 2X2 so it isn't so incredibly heavy...then I am going to paint that black...I will then nail half inch sheets of quarter inch plywood in 5 foot sections. I am thinking about making each section free standing but linked to the other sections, so I can put them away for the winter time...Thinking like folding leg sections that fold up into the framing and this way I am putting away 5 4X4 sections, so they aren't in the weather all fall, winter and spring. The thing I have found that if you don't paint or stain then water becomes your enemy...So this year I am going to make them more weather proof and secure and sturdy...When I have it done I will post pictures.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.