Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Nice Plans for Solar Rack

Nice Plans for Solar Rack

I was searching around for some plans on a solar rack and came across what I thought was a good source I'd pass along.

Checkout http://www.ecosystemssolar.com/strut-channel_rack.htm

That page also has a link to a wood based rack although metal would be nice to last longer.
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot

Re: Nice Plans for Solar Rack

Quote Originally Posted by briansturgeon
    I was searching around for some plans on a solar rack and came across what I thought was a good source I'd pass along.

Checkout http://www.ecosystemssolar.com/strut-channel_rack.htm

That page also has a link to a wood based rack although metal would be nice to last longer.
    The only problem to these plans is that I have found if you don't have something solid for the panels to sit on, any air that circulates on the underside is cooled by the shade provided and thus has a cooling effect on the solar panels themselves. I found this out after not seeing the results I wanted when I build a similar rack out of PVC pipe. The panels did not sit on something solid and thus it only added about 5 degrees heating in a good week. However after attaching 1/8th inch plywood to the PVC angled rack, I picked up 12 to 15 degrees almost immediately...Plus it has a good angle to the sun. I would go with something solid. It may be harder...but worth it in the end.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

cubby, If you look at the very bottom pics you will see they used corrugated plastic sheets like they use for roofing for a solid backing.
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot

interesting, Didnt think about a back piece! Like Cubby, I have planned out a PVC rack for my flat roof, but I didn't think about a back piece! Cubby, do you have some images to share of your setup?
    23000, Sand, IG, Plaster, Century Pool/Jetted Tub Motor 1.5HP, Rainbow Lifegard Feeder Model 300

Quote Originally Posted by wiscousonian
    interesting, Didnt think about a back piece! Like Cubby, I have planned out a PVC rack for my flat roof, but I didn't think about a back piece! Cubby, do you have some images to share of your setup?
    No because I am rebuilding something more solid so last fall I took it all apart. Basically what I am planning is a framed (like a wall) 4ft by 20ft rack made of 2X2 so it isn't so incredibly heavy...then I am going to paint that black...I will then nail half inch sheets of quarter inch plywood in 5 foot sections. I am thinking about making each section free standing but linked to the other sections, so I can put them away for the winter time...Thinking like folding leg sections that fold up into the framing and this way I am putting away 5 4X4 sections, so they aren't in the weather all fall, winter and spring. The thing I have found that if you don't paint or stain then water becomes your enemy...So this year I am going to make them more weather proof and secure and sturdy...When I have it done I will post pictures.
    Beave

Quote Originally Posted by briansturgeon
    cubby, If you look at the very bottom pics you will see they used corrugated plastic sheets like they use for roofing for a solid backing.
    I kind of like this idea...maybe I will look into this.
    Beave

I'm actually quite excited about building a shed next to my pool equipment now so I can set up a solar system like that.
    Clearwater, Florida

12,000 gallon kidney shaped gunite pool
    Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP Pump
    Pentair CCP420 420sq/ft Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Intellibrite 5G 120V Pool Light