Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter pump won't turn off

1. Back To Top    #1

filter pump won't turn off

Does anyone know why the filter pump in my swimming pool stays on after the Jandy control shuts off? I even try and shut off the pump from the main panel by pushing the "service" or "time out" button, and that still won't do it. I have to switch off the circuit breaker. Can anyone help?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD
    Welcome to TFP!

A broken pump control relay could cause that. Could you tell us a little more about your system, which model of controller you have, etc?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA
    Are you running a heater too? Mine has a cool down mode which prevents the pump for turning off for 15 minutes while the heater cools off.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mine is Aqualink RS, and I don't run my heater because the pool temp stays at >80 degree from the sunlight. The pool light sometimes would come on on its own. I hope it is not a broken relay socket. If it is, how much does it cost to replace one? Is this something I can purchase and service myself? Thanks.