Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water sample sense.

1. Back To Top    #1

Downingtown Pa, 20 mi w of Phila

Water sample sense.

After my first post, I purchased the TF100 and would like your opinion. I will not open my pool until May and wondered if it made sense to get sample results now. Circulation could be achieved by running a submersible pump from the deep end with the water discharged over the shallow end of the pool with a 2" fire hose. My reasoning is that I had algae for the first time prior to closing last September. Found the chlorinator outlet tubing plugged at the discharge fitting while away for two weeks. Was told by Leslie's to expect to drain the pool (due to their sample results shown on 1st post). I would hate to fill the remaining foot to be at the skimmer inlets only to have to drain it after sampling. Suggestions ?
    28K,IG,Plaster,1HP Amer Std, 48 Sq' Titan Vert Grid DT Filter, Hayward Auto Chlorinator, Jandy Ray Vac Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Water sample sense.

Algae is virtually NEVER a reason to drain. Algae can be killed and then controlled with adequate chlorine.

If you pool currently has visible algae, you could test anytime but the addition of chlorine and perhaps other chemistry would require the use of the main pump and filter to do a good job.

I would leave it until I was ready to start the pump for the Spring.....should be in just 2-3 weeks in Philly? Hopefully?
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Massachusetts

Yea, I'd just wait but i'd open it up middle of april. Still too cold to get in, but you can get it up and running. I'd rather look at nice blue water than a cover.

I live in central mass and i'm going to open up April 9th i think.
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

I'd do it, paying special attention to the CYA readings. For one, you had algae. Two, you let Leslie's test it. They're good about telling you to add more stabilizer, but not so good at telling you to stop feeding it pucks.

If CYA is super high, you have your answer.

Impatience to test and treat is a symptom of sparklypoolitis, you know. :P
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5
    SouthWest Alabama

The only thing that bothers me about your statement is this part "Found the chlorinator outlet tubing plugged" Using a tablet chlorinator (if that's what it is) might have your CYA high and you could have to drain some of the water to get it down to a reasonable level.

But, as said above, I'd just wait till I opened it to deal with whatever I needed to do.

Of course I understand how bad you want to test because you have a brand new TF-100 in your hands and just can't wait to use it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit